UTH which kind?

T

Trevor's Leo

For my my tank, what brand uth you recommend? I have heard Zoo-med are good, as are Exo-Terra. Any suggestions are awesome! First timer here ;)

Ratman667

I have the Exo-Terra, ZooMed and a Nature's Heat. Out of those three I prefer the Exo-Terra. The sizes are more to my liking, plus they have a pretty even temp across the surface.

I would also invest in a thermostat to keep your temps from running away.

T

Trevor's Leo

a thermostat?? No one ever mentioned that? What do they do?

phoneguy

a thermostat?? No one ever mentioned that? What do they do?

A thermostat controls the heat of your UTH. It is not necessary to use a Thermostat but you need to monitor the temperature over the UTH. The best way to do this is with a thermometer with a probe. You place the probe on the floor of your tank at the hottest spot. Most of the time the UTH will be too hot and you will need to control the output of the UTH. A thermostat is a good way to accomplish this but its the most expensive way. You can use a rheostat that can turn up and down the output of the UTH. The cheapest option is to buy a lamp dimmer from the hardware store, it works the same way as a rheostat from a pet shop but its a lot cheaper. Zoo Med's get way too hot. Exo terras don't seem to get as hot. Your temps should be in the mid 90's.
I am using an Ultratherm heat pad plugged right into the wall on one of my tanks. But I keep a close eye on the temps. Make sure you buy your set up before you get your gecko so you can get your temps right. Hope this helps.

Taquiq

JK Herp
I prefer Exo-Terra. They don't get as hot as Zoo-Med. I have had Zoo-Med UTH's that got up to 110 degrees! Not controlled by a thermostat.

Shera

I have an exo terra under 2 layers of paper towel and the temps are perfect, and I haven't had to invest in a thermostat (yet, but it's still winter). I do keep a close eye on it though, I keep the probe between the 2 layers of paper towel and they typically sit around 96-97F. I have heard that the zoo med is a little hotter but I don't have one, so I can't tell you for sure.

T

Trevor's Leo

It seems like the common opinion is that exo-terra are better. I am getting the probe thermometer. Now, if I do not have the $$ for a thermostat, how can i control the temperatures? Like if it gets too hot, what do I do???

And yes, I am waiting until the tank is set up and I the temperature controlled.
thanks,
Trevor

phoneguy

It seems like the common opinion is that exo-terra are better. I am getting the probe thermometer. Now, if I do not have the $$ for a thermostat, how can i control the temperatures? Like if it gets too hot, what do I do???

And yes, I am waiting until the tank is set up and I the temperature controlled.
thanks,
Trevor

If you are using paper towels as substrate you can add another layer. Or you can use some type of dimmer as I said in my other post. The lamp dimmers I mentioned cost less than $10 at a hardware store or home store.

Shera

thanks,
Trevor

I agree, adding more substrate should work, like another layer of paper towel or if you are using tile maybe put a layer of paper towel or 2 under it, or more sand if that's what you are using, although sand is not recommended, especially for young leos.

I hadn't heard about using a dimmer until this thread, that's a neat idea, and one I might use if I find my UTH is getting too warm at any point.

T

Trevor's Leo

I will try the double-paper towels to start (before i get my leo) to see if the temp stays constant. If not, How do you set the dimmer to the UTH?

phoneguy

I will try the double-paper towels to start (before i get my leo) to see if the temp stays constant. If not, How do you set the dimmer to the UTH?

The UTH plugs into the dimmer, then you turn it down a little at a time and keep monitoring the temps. You need to give it at least an hour in between each adjustment.

T

Trevor's Leo

I am going to be getting a Rheostat. That says it can attach to uth and you can control it that way. is this this kind of thing you were talking about?

phoneguy

I am going to be getting a Rheostat. That says it can attach to uth and you can control it that way. is this this kind of thing you were talking about?

Yes, they work fine. If you want to save some money you can look at a hardware store for something like this http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers it does the same thing by controlling the amount of power that goes to the UTH. I have used both with the same results.

Last edited:

Visit our friends