What bulb for viewing at night?

CallDr

I am not fond of the Red bulbs because you can't see her color well. I see there are black bulbs. I don't think I need any extra heat. So what are any of you using and why or why not.

stephane110

im currently using a red bulb just because it was only 1.50$ but at my local pet store they have special night time reptile viewing bulbs which are blue. Im not sure how that would effect the colours. I may grab one next time im there because Im not too fond of red either.

These are what im reffering to:

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/night_glo.php

Edit: if you do decide to try one of these blue bulbs, could you send me a pm letting me know how it is? Thanks.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I have used red, blue, and incandescent black in the past. Don't bother with the expensive pet store bulbs, cheap ones from home depot, etc. are just as good for viewing purposes. None of them really show the geckos color very well, if you are capable of some basic wiring you could try to rig up some white LED lighting, I have seen some frog tanks using them to simulate moonlight and it looks really cool.

RagginOut

+1 for the LED lighting. I will be doing this myself but plan to use blue LED's as the whites just give off too much light imo. I suppose putting them on a dimmer could help but .. meh, lol. I may do both a blue and white LEd strip set and see what I like more.

Visit our friends