What do Y'all think of these??

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
So while looking at several different options for substrate for my tank I came across this:

Excavator burrowing Clay

excavator2.jpg

http://www.reptiledirect.com/excavatorclayburrowingsubstrate.aspx
"Check out Zoo Med's new Excavator Clay Burrowing Substrate! It allows reptiles to dig tunnels and burrows just like they do in nature. Watch your reptiles perform natural digging behaviors; mold and create multi-level terraces and burrows in your reptiles terrarium Make your reptiles feel like they are "at home" in their natural habitat. Excavator holds its shape so burrows and tunnels won't collapse All Natural! No added dyes, colors or chemicals"

hotbark.jpg

http://www.reptiledirect.com/hot-bark.aspx
"Hot Bark Decorative Warming Stone. Break-Resistant, Durable Construction. Safe, Non-Toxic Materials, No Hot Spots. Safe for All Reptiles. Extra-Long Polarized Plug. "

The reason I was considering this is because I know the room he will be in is colder than teh rest of thehouse. Prob in the 62-65 range during the winter. Was also likely going to employ a red heat bulb for alternative heat source.

Lastly what kind of heat mats do y'all recommend. From reading I'm leaning towards the COBRA heat mat:

trheater.jpg

http://www.reptiledirect.com/cobraheatmats.aspx
"Europe's #1 heat mat for more than a decade is now available from T-Rex Products. Cobra Heat Mats are made from incredibly reliable, accurate copper elements that provide uniform even heat distribution. Designed to be used in or out of terrariums, these mats operate at a constant 100 degrees fahrenheit. "I was told the 6x11 size for a 20 long tank. Do y'all agree?

Sooo... thoughts...?

Last edited:

MiamiLeos

I have seen leos in a tank with that clay.. it's kind of neat I guess if you want to spend the time with it. From what I understand, it takes a long time to 'harden' and hold the shape. The leos won't dig in it either, unless a female is laying and doesnt have a lay box. And theres always the possibility of impaction like with any loose substrate (although this is better than normal dry sand). In my opinion, it's not a big winner for leos. It's better suited for digging herps like some knobtails and what not. If you want a nice natural look though you could build some custom cage furniture. LizardLandscapes.com is a great website with lots of tutorials and ideas. I've made quite a few of these myself and they really are very easy and have a great look to them.

The therma-scaper I would not use for any reptile. Heated furniture such as this has a horrible rap for burning reptiles and causing serious damage. They really can hurt them very badly and IMO, it's not worth the possibility. For extra heat a red heat bulb would be much better and much, much safer for your leo. Leos are smaller than Uromastyx and Iguanas so this heated log would be even more dangerous for them and their thinner skin. No one likes a burned belly ;)

Any heat pad would be fine really. I think the 6x11 is a good size for a 20g. Just make sure it's on one side and there is a relatively cool place for the leo to go to when it gets too warm. As long as the temperature of the floor on the inside of the tank over the heat mat isnt over 95*F, your good to go!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Thanks so much for your reply Bridgette. I was kinda thinking those things already but it is nice to get the opinion of those in the know ;) I certainly want a habitat taht is as close to home for my leo as possible so I will certainly check out the site you recommended. I have seen some people using expandable foam insulation to make display furniture... does it get scratched up as the leo climbs on it? How do you paint something like that and make it non-toxic?

MiamiLeos

No problem at all :) On that website in one of the tutorials (I think the waterfall one) he uses expandable foam and shows you how to do it and everything. to make the structure durable, you coat it with several layers of non-sanded grout, then paint it to your desired color (I used greys and some darker browns for a stone look) then when you've got the colors to your liking, you seal the paint with a non toxic sealer, either a grout sealer or the ever-popular Mod Podge (watered down). Everything you need to know is on that site, it's great. I wouldn't have been nearly as sucessful on my first attempts without it :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Wow... that guys site is AMAZING. who'd have thought you could make such natural looking decor with foam, grout and a little paint.

Also you're welcome Joey. I'm glad my post was helpful :)

Visit our friends