What else should I get?

CalypsoTheLG

Petco is having their $1 gallon New Years sale, and I'm thinking about switching the 10g I bought for a 20gL (gallon Long) while I'm there. I've been putting aside money to get the LG Start-up kit from Petsmart, but I've read on here that it has nothing I need. So at that my question is; I have the cage, the two hides, the humid hide, the food/water dishes, flooring, and calcium. I know I need the UTH, is there anything else that I should get? I'm only getting one leopard gecko.

CalypsoTheLG

What UTH should I get? I've been reading reviews on the Zoo-Med that's supposed to heat the tank up 5-10 degrees, and a good precentage of the reviews says it doesn't do anything.
Another thing, I've read the care sheets on here, and they all say something different about LGs needing belly heat to digest their food; so if the pet store I go to only has the Zoo-Med UTH will my LG be OK with heat from a bulb (no UVA/B rays)?

Last edited:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
You'll need a thermostat or rheostat to go with the UTH, otherwise there is a possibility of overheating.

fl_orchidslave

About the thermometer.. get a digital probe model, it's a ZooMed brand. They are inexpensive and will give you floor temp. Ambient temp is irrrevelant to floor readings, so a stick on the side type is a waste. Since you already know the "kit" is pretty much worthless, don't let them talk you into sand. A 10gal tank is good for a baby, be sure there are many hiding areas if you end up going with the 20.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Leos need belly heat. The Zoomed heat pads work great, I own at least 5 of those, and have no issues, just make sure you use a rheostat or thermostat. Rheostats (light dimmers) are available cheaper than a petstore at Home Depot ($10). Just make sure your measuring the floor temps inside the warm hide, you'll want it somewhere between 88-95 degrees :)

Visit our friends