What if your gecko doesn't ahve enough heat?

ieatfish

What if your gecko doesn't have enough heat?

I've been curious after spending so much time getting the heat to be correct in our enclosure, what happens if your gecko doesn't have the 90-95 degree area in their cage? For example, if your heating pad goes out one night or the temperature in your house drops enough to bring it down. Would a few days at 80 degrees harm your gecko? How long would it live at 70 degrees? Etc.

Last edited:

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
A few days at 80 degrees would not harm your gecko at all, although prolonged exposure to low temps could lead to respiratory infections and the gecko not being able to digest its food. A gecko can tolerate night drops in the 70's as well, although I don't believe its necessary to provide these temperature drops.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Don't worry about air temperature in the enclosure. The important thing is that the heat is higher right on the floor surface where the gecko's belly is.

ieatfish

I think we're going to pick up a better thermometer because the one we have now only measures the temperature a few mm above the surface.

LeoMerlin

Oh man I was freaked this morning when I realized how cold it was in the room. I have a digital probe thermometer, and he has his light bulb, and UTH, and the probe read it was in the mid 70s this morning. I about had a heart attack. I have been looking for a thermostat to help control the temps, but I just don't know which is the best one to get for him. Mostly I've seen "timers", and that's not what I need. I know when to turn what light off and when, etc. I just need something that will control his temperature, especially for the winter! It gets really hot during the day in my room, and reaaaaaally cold in the winter, so that's the one thing I'm super worried about myself. The temp is back to where it needs to be now but this morning had me freaked!

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I hate the winters here. It gets so cold, so keeping the tank heat where I want it is hard. Luckily though I do have a UTH, and right now it's summer time, so there's no big issue with it. However I'm always worrying about my little one lol I NEED an undercage heater for that. I'll be getting a new cage soon-ish though, before summer is fully over, so there won't be any problems.

Reptis

As everyone (or at least most) have said, a few days/hours will not stress your gecko to much. But if it keeps fluctuating like u have said (90-70-90-ect.) it will greatly stress out ur gecko. I had to have a very strong heat bulb for the winter but depending on where your's is, it should be pretty stable. But living in Florida may have had a bit of an impact on that to but it got below freezing often and he stayed pretty warm.

Visit our friends