what is the best light with my leo

superknoty

Hi guys i just brought my two new leo and they are about 3-4 moths as the breeder claim. urr I put them in 10 gallon tank with single CLF light for them

here is the thing that I notices for past 5 day

1. both leo wont come out of their hide they actully live there for both day time and night time

2. I heard that leo is not kind of the animal that really like light , it actually can blind if they revive too much light is that true

3. If i really want to put a light for my leo what is the best light to turn on for them with out give them too much stress and can give them blind

4. what about light color does color of light effect on leo

thank you guys:p

sunshinegeckos

First of all do you have an under tank heater? if not you will need to get one since leos need belly heat for digestion and growth. Some leos (albino's especially) can be harmed by the light and most leo's do you not like the light since they are nocturnal. If you want a light for viewing purposes I would go with the blue moonlight bulb or you can do a red bulb otherwise I would ditch the light all together. Congrats on your new leos :)

superknoty

thanks for you reply but I have question about the heater pad . I live in thailand and the temperature is about 35 c but I keep my leo in my basement which the temperature is around 25 c . I mean if the temperature is around that do I still need heat pad ,or due to I raise my leo in glass thank which might reduce surface temperature in the tank ?

prettyinpink

They need belly heat... so yes, they need a UTH.

If you want a light for viewing them at night a red light is good while you're viewing. They don't need any other lights, it'll just stress them out - other than the light in the room so they know when it's day time.

http://geckoforums.net/articles.php?c=115 -- here's some caresheets that I suggest reading ;)

Also, if you just got them they will need some time to get used to their surroundings.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Leopard geckos not only need belly heat, but ALL reptiles need to thermoregulate. This means they need a warm place to go when they need heat, and a cool place to go when they are too hot. Having an under-tank heater (UTH) under about 25-30% of their enclosure will provide a thermo-gradient depending on your ambient room temperature. Leopard geckos DO NOT need lighting other than normal natural indirect sunlight to tell them it's day time or night. Overhead lighting and/or heat is unnecessary, and they require calcium and vitamin supplementation.

superknoty

thank you for all of your reply. At this moment I have install my UTH unit for all of my gecko. Also I have use Put uver head lamp with red CLF bulb with timer for my giant so I think this is all set any suggestion

Visit our friends