What kind of light bulb?

Number1Sticky

I have two Leopard Geckos in a 20 gallon tank. With an under heater.

But I was wondering what kind of light bulb I should use? I know they do not a UVB bulb but are the "reptile" bulbs and regular bulbs the same? Because everything I read says the only reason they need a light bulb if for the heat. So wouldn't a regular light bulb work?

I just have a regular bulb in there right now. So they are getting heat, but I just want to know if there is something they are missing.

Thanks!!

Chestersmom

If you're receiving a proper heat graditent with the uth then you don't need to use a lightbulb. I personaly heat with lamps tho and I use 75 watt blacklight bulbs.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Most "reptile" bulbs do put off a UV value which will stress a noctournal leo. If you need to make up temp losses and need to maintain the temp gradient from cool side to hot side you can suppliment with an infrared bulb, a moonlight bulb or a low watt (15-25 watt) incandescent bulb but you'll only get like 3-5 degrees of heat from an incandescent bulb.

I have a 20 long with a UTH and a 50 watt moonlight bulb on 24/7 right now until we turn the heat on and my tank stays between 98-94 day to night. I also have a 75 watt infrared that I can use but that takes the tank up as high as 106 so gotta be careful and either use a thermostat for secondary heat sources or check your thermometer often to make sure you're not overheating your leo.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
IMO, i say no bulbs. i find a good UTH heater can provide all the heat needed and so bulbs really arent needed.

I have to disagree to a point Jordan... I have a great UTH but when your house is 55-60*F there is sometimes a need for supplimental heat. When it's in the high 60's, in the house the UTH has no problems keeping the temps but no matter how good your UTH is esp. if it's properly sized for your tank sometimes supplimental heat is required in some circumstances like mine.

Visit our friends