What size, type ect.???

Reptis

This is probably a really obvious question but my 7-8 month leo Nameless is in a 10 gallon tank and I am looking for a larger size tank for him (currently around 20-30 gal.) and was wondering if that would be the right size 4 him and if it really matters if I get one of those "screen" tanks or just a regular fish/reptile tank? I am planning in getting a 20-30 gal. tank and buying a carpet & heating pad for it. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas please say so!

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
A 20 long gallon would be perfect for him. Im noot sure about the screen cage or how it would conduct heat, its probably better to get a regular tank, they are pretty cheap on craigslist and other classifieds, and I wouldn't recommend the carpet,bcuz geckos can get their toes caught in them and could potentionally lose it, also I noticed that when they hunt and miss they they get their teeth stuck on the carpet, that's y I switched to paper towels but I wanna try slate till I hear its great, and a heating pad is perfect as long as it covers about 30% of the tank.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
PetCo is having their $1/gallon sale right now, if you really want a great tank to work with go grab a 40 breeder.

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
PetCo is having their $1/gallon sale right now, if you really want a great tank to work with go grab a 40 breeder.

I am not sure if this is true or not but i heard that the bigger the cage is the more the gecko strains away from the hot side, and imo i dont think its necessary to have that big of a tank for 1 gecko, i heard you could house 3 geckos in a 40 but its up to you if u want a big tank for your gecko or not but a 20-40 gallon tank should do well for your gecko.

LeoMerlin

Well since I'm house sitting and couldn't leave my guy by himself, I brought his 10 gallon which he was in originally and he's doing fine in that. Stays the right temps and everything. He has a 20 gallon long which is just fine for one or a couple of geckos from what I've seen/read. You need to make sure you have the digital thermometer on the warm side and have a mount temp/humidity gauge on the cool side as well to make sure the temps are where they should be. Daytime should be up to 92-95 on warm side, no higher than that. I know it gets hotter in the wild where they're from but I think it's better that it doesn't get hotter than that for captive breed geckos. Night-time temps should be mid 80s on warm side and mid 70s on cool side.

20 gallon with a screen top is just fine for them. Just make sure to have enough hides for them, but not too many hides. Don't want to crowd them or make them stress out.

Reptis

What I meant by him having a "cool" side is that his cool side is not very cold compared to the other side (ie 90-95 warm side 85-90 cool or more:s). He mostly stays in his humid hide witch is usually a steady 80-82 if his paper towel stays moist. I know I need another thermometer for the cool side as well as a humidity gauge but I just need to focus on the tank and maybe trying to get a smaller width lamp so the heat will be a little more concentrated to his basking spot. I have seen the sale at petco but I don't think they are doing 20-30 gal. long tanks in it, and seeing as I am still in need of funding to get a new reptile-specific tank and i have not found any on ebay or free runners, I am lucky that my birthday is coming up 'cuz I am really only asking for cash. Does anyone know where I can get a 20-30 long for close to nothing as well as some good tile or other-non sand substrate???

OnlineGeckos

if anyone uses tile for their gecko's tank, what would probably be the best kind? (I was thinking stone)

Slate tiles, you don't want the surface to be too smooth or your gecko will be sliding all over the place especially while hunting. Some ceramic tiles are also fine.

Visit our friends