Who uses screen lids?

Marleykeeper

I just got a 20L today for marley and I'm quite pleased with it. In my opinion a ten gallon is to cramped for a adult. I've got him all set up on tile with his hides and what not and I'm debating weather I need a screen or not for his cage. There isn't a way for him to escape an I'm about to feed him a staple of dubias so I don't need to worry about crickets jumping out. Also there isn't any dogs or cats that will bother him. What I think I'm going to do is modify a ten gallon screen I made to fit over the hot side just so I can place his light on it. I'm curious to see how many people use screen lids and why.

Stl_Greaser

I use screen lids on every thing I keep. If you don't you will get an escape! It is just a matter of time, Leopard Geckos are escape artists! Also the Dubia will be able to climb the silicone in the corners of the aquarium and can get out that way. You may want to think about investing the small amount of money a screen lid cost just for the peace of mind.

Stl_Greaser

Marleykeeper said:
Alright I guess it's beter to be safe then sorry

That's how I feel! Never had an escape yet, though I aut to find some wood to knock on real quick now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marleykeeper

i went to ******** today and looked at the screens they had but im not paying 20 bucks for one lol, i paid that much for the tank. I want to make a custon one with a door or something.

Latlaw

I have the screens that fold in half at the top for easy maintenance --changing water, feeding etc so you don't have to take the whole thing off each time you need to do something. They're great.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
I have the screens that fold in half at the top for easy maintenance --changing water, feeding etc so you don't have to take the whole thing off each time you need to do something. They're great.

Similar to my screen lid with door lol.
I have that too but the one problem, the opening door has very very sharp edge. I had got hurt by it everytime I throw some crickets for Jackie to eat. I switch it to hood that has light come with it. I'm happy :D lol

Marleykeeper

i think im going to make one its cheaper and i like the look of wood. I looked at home depot yesterday and all i found was the super fine window mesh i was wondering if theres somewhere that has something a little more heavy duty because i like to set my light on the mesh

Stl_Greaser

As long as you get the aluminum window screen it will bold the lights just fine. When I was a lot younger and my dad made me a screen for the first bluetail skink I caught, our 18lb cat used to sit on top of it and there was never a problem! Just don't get the fiberglass stuff cause the lights could burn through it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Screen Saver, Huh?

i went to ******** today and looked at the screens they had but im not paying 20 bucks for one lol, i paid that much for the tank. I want to make a custon one with a door or something.

How much you need one to protect escapes......
depends on how tall the furnishings and how good
a high jumper track star your gecko is.
I've seen them jump like a frog on occasions.:wall::oops:
Better safe than gecko hunting.
But dollars can be saved from many deals out there.
As out of the hobby fish people,
used screens from Pet store,
classified paper ads,
Craig,s list..............
Another source.....people building racks,
now selling their screened tanks.
Take care. HJ

ez2animate

As long as you know there is no way for your leo to escape you should be fine. I'm still mad my dad MADE me pay $20 to get a screen lid. Truthfully those are way overprice. Go to your local hardware store, buy some chicken wire and 4 pieces of wood, staple together and your good.

Visit our friends