Would You Take This Tank?

Desdemona

So I can get a free 30 Gal tank off of a friend who used it for salt water. I guess they left it for a while and it grew algea on it. They said they scrubbed it for a while, using bleach, and still had a hard time taking it off.

So the question is... would you take the tank? Is it possible that the tank would be unhealthy for the gecko having been exposed to all of the cleaners? Also, is there a secret to cleaning Algea?

Its a corner tank model and I think it could make a really neat looking herb habitat so I do want it, but don't want something that would be bad for the gecko of course.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I think you'd be OK...it is glass, so Im sure you could clean it thoroughly enough. I dont know what to use to get all the algae off....maybe a razor blade? Just make sure you rinse it really well after cleaning.
So to answer your question....YES....I would take it :)

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Is it possible that the tank would be unhealthy for the gecko having been exposed to all of the cleaners? Also, is there a secret to cleaning Algea?

Rinse it very thoroughly, nothing in the tank is porous, none of the cleaners will penetrate the materials the tank is made from in order to linger. So a good rinsing and some time to air out is sufficient to remove any water soluble residue.

Depends on what kind of algae it is. Given the difficulty you are having in removing it, I am guessing it is red or brown in color and is a diatom bloom. Blue-green algaes and macroalgaes can generally be removed by wiping or at worst a bit of light scrubbing.

Diatoms form a silicate shell, which is quite dense, quite hard and is going to be pretty well cemented to the glass, remaining even long after the algae itself has died. A razor blade is exactly what you should use to remove it, provided the aquarium is glass. Do not use a razor on an acrylic aquarium.

Visit our friends