Yet another question from me ;)

geckoluver4evr

Hello! I have another question or two. :p First, about the moist hide. I have two hides in my tank, a small one on the warm side and a larger one on the cool side. I was going to make a moist hide on the warm side once I get a UTH. But I'm not sure how to make one? I see alot made out of tubbaware containers, but I can't cut into them to make an opening. I'd like some ideas, pleaseeeee? :) Also, when Pepper does start shedding, is it good to give her a bath every once in a while? Just a little soak in warm water for a bit? Because I don't like the idea of spraying her face, if ya know what I mean. Which leads me to my final question. How do I hold my gecko, or rather get it out of it's tank? :p She has walked on my fingertips before, but her tank has a lot of hiding spots and hard to reach places, so if she wants to flee she certainly can. Thanks so much for bearing all these assuredly stupid questions. ;)

houseb

First, get that UTH ASAP! There will probably be a bunch of peeps here that will yell at you for not having it (in all fairness, it is extremely important to have).:D

I see alot made out of tubbaware containers, but I can't cut into them to make an opening. I'd like some ideas, pleaseeeee?

When you say can't, do you mean you don't know how to or you're not allowed to? Or do you mean it is not possible with the tupperware you have?
It seems like most people use 'disposable' food storage containers that are relatively thin walled and easy to cut through, plus they're inexpensive and easy to clean. I've also seen a few people use old butter or margarine tubs.
If none of those options work for you, you can always purchase a hide such as the repti shelter 3 in 1 (I think it's made by Zoo Med). Hope this helps and good luck with your new gecko. :)

Last edited:

roger

Hello! I have another question or two. :p First, about the moist hide. I have two hides in my tank, a small one on the warm side and a larger one on the cool side. I was going to make a moist hide on the warm side once I get a UTH. But I'm not sure how to make one? I see alot made out of tubbaware containers, but I can't cut into them to make an opening. I'd like some ideas, pleaseeeee? :) Also, when Pepper does start shedding, is it good to give her a bath every once in a while? Just a little soak in warm water for a bit? Because I don't like the idea of spraying her face, if ya know what I mean. Which leads me to my final question. How do I hold my gecko, or rather get it out of it's tank? :p She has walked on my fingertips before, but her tank has a lot of hiding spots and hard to reach places, so if she wants to flee she certainly can. Thanks so much for bearing all these assuredly stupid questions. ;)

IMO there is no need to give a bath unless she is retaining eggs or having major difficulty shedding.DO NOT spray your leo directling,there is no need if u have a humid hide.Make sure u put your hand in front of her so she knows your coming.Pick her up by putting your hand in front of her and nudge her gently onto your hand.

geckoluver4evr

First, get that UTH ASAP! There will probably be a bunch of peeps here that will yell at you for not having it (in all fairness, it is extremely important to have).:D

When you say can't, do you mean you don't know how to or you're not allowed to? Or do you mean it is not possible with the tupperware you have?
It seems like most people use 'disposable' food storage containers that are relatively thin walled and easy to cut through, plus they're inexpensive and easy to clean. I've also seen a few people use old butter or margarine tubs.
If none of those options work for you, you can always purchase a hide such as the repti shelter 3 in 1 (I think it's made by Zoo Med). Hope this helps and good luck with your new gecko. :)

I'm sorry, I should have said, I'm getting a UTH this week, and until I can go I am using a heat lamp. Not nearly as good, but better than nothing. It is not possible with the tupperware I have, but I will just try to get a little hide and line it with moist paper towels. Should be cheap. :)
Roger, thank you very much! Okay, I won't give soaks and I agree, I don't like the spraying idea! Thanks for you advice on picking her up though. ;)

blueappal

The UTH is a must... I'm sure you already know that by now. As far as spraying your gecko with water... that's isn't something you need to do. The humid hide is enough. Tupperware containers work awesome... but if you can buy a humidity gauge; just adding moist moss under a rock hide would be sufficient and give you a more natural looking environment.

On handling you gecko... just continue to persuade it to climb on your hand. After a few weeks he/she should start coming to you... especially if you are the one that feeds it.

geckoluver4evr

I do have a UTH now! It's plently warm enough, 10-20 gallon size for a 10 gallon. ;) I'm sorry, I didn't update this thread. For a moist hide, I have a terracotta pot with an opening in it for my gecko, and I line it with moist paper towels, which I mist a few times a day. :) As far as handling goes, I usually coax the gecko into one hand by tapping her booty with the other, and then I can lift her out. She still doesn't like handling very much though, so I am still working on that. :) So full tank setup, 10 gallon with a UTH, warm hide and a moist hide, climbing rock and silk plant, water, food and calcium dish, paper towel substrate and a tank screen lid. :) I have just about everything I need for him. Or her. :p Thank you though!

Visit our friends