Zilla temperature controller...good or bad?

LifeKills11

hey uguys well i just bought a zilla temp controller 1000watts ...n i have a few questions...shud the prob be placed directly under his hide on the hot side? thats where its at now and the heat source says its off...i have the temp set to 75.. im guessn its too hoott? so tht means itll turn on when its below 75? hmmm doesnt sound like much of a controller jus sounds like it turnms it on and off for me haha...well iunno u guys give me ur opinions..such as where the probe shud be and what not ..thanks

nathan

roger

hey uguys well i just bought a zilla temp controller 1000watts ...n i have a few questions...shud the prob be placed directly under his hide on the hot side? thats where its at now and the heat source says its off...i have the temp set to 75.. im guessn its too hoott? so tht means itll turn on when its below 75? hmmm doesnt sound like much of a controller jus sounds like it turnms it on and off for me haha...well iunno u guys give me ur opinions..such as where the probe shud be and what not ..thanks

nathan

most controllers when the temp that is programmed is achieved the controller shuts off and then when the temp is below the set temperature the controller turns on to get the desired temps.U need 88-95 on the warm end

LifeKills11

but even for the nite the temps shud be 88-90? hmmmm i dnt thnk thts accurate.. it has this little chart tht specifically states nite time temps for a leopard gecko should range from 70-75

lovelovelove135

Hi, I have the same exact controller you're talking about and I just set it up yesterday :) I was very confused as to where the probe should go because the directions said something like attach probe to wall with suction cup, and don't put probe where there's direct radiant heat, but put it in the warmest spot of the terrarium. So I looked at google images and this explains everything haha http://www.critter-cages.com/images/es68020.jpg You put the probe on the wall, but in the warmest area of your terrarium :) Oh, and don't listen to the package. Or any care sheets you were given by any pet stores such as Petsmart or Petco because they're not accurate. This is the place to come to get your information :)

roger

Hi, I have the same exact controller you're talking about and I just set it up yesterday :) I was very confused as to where the probe should go because the directions said something like attach probe to wall with suction cup, and don't put probe where there's direct radiant heat, but put it in the warmest spot of the terrarium. So I looked at google images and this explains everything haha http://www.critter-cages.com/images/es68020.jpg You put the probe on the wall, but in the warmest area of your terrarium :) Oh, and don't listen to the package. Or any care sheets you were given by any pet stores such as Petsmart or Petco because they're not accurate. This is the place to come to get your information :)

the probe should go on the surface of where his warm hide is.Should be between 88-95 deg

lovelovelove135

the probe should go on the surface of where his warm hide is.Should be between 88-95 deg

Oh...LifeKills11, don't listen to me then xD Roger is more experienced than I am, so you'd be better off listening to him :) Sorry! and Thanks Roger!

roger

Oh...LifeKills11, don't listen to me then xD Roger is more experienced than I am, so you'd be better off listening to him :) Sorry! and Thanks Roger!

The most important place u want to know the temp, is right under his hide where he gets his belly heat.we ar not concerned with ambient temps

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Guess we're going here again aye Nathan.... your night time temps do not need to change from your day time temps. Like Roger and many others have told you, your leo will thermoregulate as needed and at night when he is moving around you want to have a nice temperate spot for him to go warm up at if he gets cooler during his explorations. Leave your hot side at 88-95 24/7. As far as the thermostat goes, you will have a degree or 2 difference from the actual reading so say for example you have it set to shut off yuor heating elements at 90 degrees, it could hit 92 before it actually shuts them off or it could hit 88 before it turns them on. All which is perfectly acceptable for your leo. This is why you need a SEPERATE probe thermometer to monitor the actual temps and do not rely on your thermostat to do that for you. This way you can also find the variable range that your thermostat works with in. Search member ncbeast, then go into his profile and read his posts. We had many discussions about his thermostat readings and how much of a variable there was from actual temps to what the thermostat was set at. I believe (if I remember correctly) he was getting a 3-4 degree swing before his thermostat would react.

Visit our friends