1 2 or 3 leopard

msebar

I have a 90g tank and I only want a max of 3 leopards and one tank. I want to start breeding them when they get old enough. To start off I only want to get 1 or 2.

I was going to get 2 baby females to start off and then bring in a baby male 6 months later.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have a better idea let me know.

For the babies, I would house them in large containers until old enough to bring over to the big tank if I decide to keep more, or I might just start selling them.

Your thoughts please

Michael

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
Dont forget to quarantine all new animals, as for putting 3 geckos in a 90 gallon its possible, but some geckos just dont get along, and they should be all the same sized so putting a baby with an adult isn't a good idea.. also are these going to be your first geckos? I wouldn't recommend breeding without knowing the requirements and risks from breeding...

msebar

Dont forget to quarantine all new animals, as for putting 3 geckos in a 90 gallon its possible, but some geckos just don't get along, and they should be all the same sized so putting a baby with an adult isn't a good idea.. also are these going to be your first geckos? I wouldn't recommend breeding without knowing the requirements and risks from breeding...

I am a type of person that spends a lot of time researching before diving in. I thought by getting the 2 females to start would give me some time to do more research and prevent breeding until ready.

So should I get three at once?

When eggs are hatched at the lower temps are they guaranteed to be females.

fl_orchidslave

There is no guarantee of gender when temp sexing, but only a probable. To be certain of gender you would need a confirmed visual. Juveniles that have some size can be safely sexed and would be your best bet to avoid getting 2 males. If you get all three at the same time, you'd likely be able to negotiate a better deal from a breeder.

LZRDGRL

I'd do what you suggested yourself :main_yes:: get 2 juvenile females that are visually sexed, and then get a bigger male half a year later, so when you add him after his quarantine is over, he will be of the same size and age as your previous females. You can't add a baby male to your adult females in half a year (they might eat their little husband).

You'll already get a group discount when buying two from the same breeder, probably, and maybe if you tell him/her that you're planning to buy a male later on, you'll get a discount, also. You'd just pay shipping twice this way. Another option would be to pick up your geckos at shows, where you can see your animals in person, and not just in an online photo. Then you save yourself $40-60 shipping costs and the danger of something happening to them during transport.

Do you know which morphs you want yet? Make sure they're compatible (all from the same Albino strain)...

Chrissy

msebar

I'd do what you suggested yourself :main_yes:: get 2 juvenile females that are visually sexed, and then get a bigger male half a year later, so when you add him after his quarantine is over, he will be of the same size and age as your previous females. You can't add a baby male to your adult females in half a year (they might eat their little husband).

You'll already get a group discount when buying two from the same breeder, probably, and maybe if you tell him/her that you're planning to buy a male later on, you'll get a discount, also. You'd just pay shipping twice this way. Another option would be to pick up your geckos at shows, where you can see your animals in person, and not just in an online photo. Then you save yourself $40-60 shipping costs and the danger of something happening to them during transport.

Do you know which morphs you want yet? Make sure they're compatible (all from the same Albino strain)...

Chrissy

That will be my next step figuring out what strain/morph to get. Where would be a good place to understand all the differences between them?

LZRDGRL

Where would be a good place to understand all the differences between them?[/QUOTE]

Go to the leopard gecko wiki and look at some pics, and find out which strain you like most!

If you like snake eyes, you can do that with all three strains, but in this case, Trempers are the cheapest (Raptors can have snake eyes), Bells come second (Radars), and Rainwaters are the most expensive (Typhoons).

If you want more pics, you're welcome to use my breeding group tab on my website. I have lots of different colors and patterns ;) My favorites are stripes with snake eyes.

Isn't all this planning exciting?!? I can still remember how I chose my very first gecko, the one in the avatar. He's still with me :main_yes:

Chrissy

Visit our friends