10 gallon LONG

reptilekeeper

My friend was cleaning out his house and was giving me tanks for future pets. he grabed this one and said "Here take this i have never used it and i dont know what size it is" i went home with new "homes" and took that tank and tried on tops the first one i tried was a 10 and it fit. Does anyone on here use these? If so how are they?

p.s. i cant spell to save my life:main_yes:

Misstasha

I use a 10 gallon as an incubator - with a heat mat and sand substrate - then put the egg container in the sand - works excellent!!!

for housing an adult leopard gecko - i wouldn't advise it. I personally wouldn't put an adult leo in anything smaller than a 20 gallon!!!

I also use 10 gallon tubs for breeding mealworms and such....

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
A 10 gallon is fine for one leo, it is probably the most popular size, and breeder racks often use tubs with slightly less floor space.

reptilekeeper

This is a long so it has more floor space but isnt as tall. Would that cause a problem with lighting being that close? Unless i just use a heat matt. Any ideas? you people on here are more experinced than i am.

LizMarie

What size is the 10 gallon long because I've heard of people refering to 10 gallon long and when they give me the dimensions is the same thing as a standard.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As far as I know, the standard 10 gallon is 20"long x 10"deep x 12" high. If you find a 10 gallon tank that's longer than 20 inches then that one's a long. If you find one that's taller than 12" but shorter than 20" then the 10x20 is the long. I've never seen a 10 gallon with any measurements besides the standard.

Aliza

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Agreed, dimensions would be helpful. The height won't really matter though, if it is shorter than a standard 10 then you can just use a lower wattage bulb to achieve the desired temps.

T

tglassburner

Are you talking about the short tank you took home from Jen's?

Alusdra

If it's for a leo, you wouldn't use lamps as the primary heat source anyway. Belly heat is better. For other species though, maybe...

Visit our friends