3" heat tape overheating?

OneFootedAce

I heard this, and was wondering if this is actually true? Should I stay away from 3" heat tape and just use 4"? what are your experiences with either one? I plan on using a rheostat for sure, and even possibly a thermostat, but do i still run the risk of overheating even witha temperature controller (rheostat)?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I've been using 3" Flexwatt on my hatchling racks for years and have never had a problem with it when used with a decent thermostat. I'm not positive I would completely trust it on a rheostat alone, unless you're going to be around to check on it fairly often. I use Johnson's thermostats. I also have 4 in on an adult rack, and haven't had problems with it either. You run the risk of overheating no matter what you use with flexwatt, it's not perfect and it can potentially fail on you, but with a good thermostat it's unlikely to be common place. Wiring in parallel reduces the risk, and if using rheostats I would use one rheostat per every 8 feet or so of heat tape. My first rack was 3 inch flexwatt run on dimmer switches, and I still have it(now run on a thermostat). Worked fine with a dimmer per every 2 shelves.

OneFootedAce

I've been using 3" Flexwatt on my hatchling racks for years and have never had a problem with it when used with a decent thermostat. I'm not positive I would completely trust it on a rheostat alone, unless you're going to be around to check on it fairly often. I use Johnson's thermostats. I also have 4 in on an adult rack, and haven't had problems with it either. You run the risk of overheating no matter what you use with flexwatt, it's not perfect and it can potentially fail on you, but with a good thermostat it's unlikely to be common place. Wiring in parallel reduces the risk, and if using rheostats I would use one rheostat per every 8 feet or so of heat tape. My first rack was 3 inch flexwatt run on dimmer switches, and I still have it(now run on a thermostat). Worked fine with a dimmer per every 2 shelves.

okay that makes me feel better about using it :D
Thanks for helpin me out Ted

Visit our friends