80 too warm for warm side?

sidneysix

during the day i dont use any form off lighting as i have natural light, but have decided to use a red bulb at night in the evenings for viewing, this raises my temps at the cool side from usually about 72-74 to high 70's. is this going to be a problem for my lizard? i intend to have the light on for maybe 4-6 hrs depending if im in my room if not i simply wont need to put the light on.
will the fluctations in temp cos a problem?

Shera

I get the impression that your title is a typo? Did you mean that your cool side is warmed to around 80F? That's just fine for the cool side. The warm side should be around 95F.

sidneysix

yeah thanks guys thats what i meant, i was just checking the warm side isnt too warm, so many people have different temperatures for there geckos.

sidneysix

bit cool? lol well i have been told by some peeps tht it can go up to 95 but 92/93 is preferred? trouble is i have a on off thermostat so my temps fluctate slightly should i set it up slightly higher?

goReptiles

You warm side temps are fine, as are the cool side. As long as you can create a difference in temps between the two sides that's what you is the best. You want the warm side between 88-92, like you have it, and the cooler side to be cooler so that the gecko can go to that side if he gets too hot on the hot side. Having 90 and 80, that should be ok.

Shera

You warm side temps are fine, as are the cool side. As long as you can create a difference in temps between the two sides that's what you is the best. You want the warm side between 88-92, like you have it, and the cooler side to be cooler so that the gecko can go to that side if he gets too hot on the hot side. Having 90 and 80, that should be ok.

Now that I look at care sheet on the internet, they do say around 90F. I was just going off a few opinions on this site, that said that temps are better around 95F.

LizMarie

Temperatures are debatable and by the look of it will always be but they'll always range between 88-97*F so if your in there you should be fine. And the cool side is fine a 80.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Opinions vary on temps, I prefer to keep mine on the higher end, typically 96-98 on the hot side. Others have had success with lower temps, it's just a matter of personal preference and what works under your conditions.

geck

African Gecko Keeper
I keep my temps on the hot side between 90 and 92. I took most of my advice from Ron Tremper and my guys are doing very well :)

sidneysix

yes it certianly is very debatable, i decided in having my termostat warm up to 93 as this prevents the warm side dropping no lower thn 86 when the therostat shuts off to cool down. before when it was only warming up to 90 i found it dropped to 82 wen cooling before switching on again and i was not too happy with such a low temperature.

Visit our friends