Added 2nd Level

L

LeoTheGodFather

For those of you who haven't met my Leo yet...here's his pics :)
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=55371

I discussed in there that I was thinking about adding a second level to his custom viv, and today I did it! I just figured I should put the pics in the Housing section...so here they are!

His viv was 24 x 11 inches inside (floorspace)...with the second level...(well, 1/2 level) he now has 385 square inches of floor space, that's 25 more than a 20 long.
His ramp goes up at a 30 degree angle, so it's not like he's climbing straight up....he actually likes it, and uses it quite easily.

I didn't have anyone to snap shots while I was cutting the wood, or screwing stuff together, but here are the pics I did manage to get, as well as the finished product!

Let me know whatcha think;)

LevelTwo001.jpg

LevelTwo002.jpg

LevelTwo004.jpg

LevelTwo005.jpg

LevelTwo007.jpg

Here he is utilizing the ramp for the first time:
LevelTwo008.jpg

Thanks,
-J

TheRed

Looks sweet. I've been thinking about doing this but my leo rarely comes out of its hide anyways. Where did you get that wood from?

L

LeoTheGodFather

The wood is just wood...Home Depot...the nice looking wood part is 12x12" squares of wood looking linoleum tile...I just had to cut it down a little bit.

StopperExotics

Impressive job, J. Looks excellent. I would put little pieces of wood on the ramp, so that your little gecko has something to grip on. IMO. Otherwise, fantastic!

L

LeoTheGodFather

That's a good idea...I'm thinking some 1/2 circle dowels, cut to length....make it like rounded steps...for now he's good though, it's not a smooth surface, so he's able to walk up and down easily....

phoneguy

nice! I'm working on a second level right now too. I'm using tile and I found a ramp used for turtles for access upstairs. I'll post pics when its done.

Lickin

I'm planning something similar with my 20 long but using plexi glass. I had to split my tank when my other leo's cage broke. Lucy ended up being a boy so she couldn't live with Chuck. I really think half a 20 is to small. Anyway thanks for giving me a better starting point for my plans. it does look nice.

L

LeoTheGodFather

Lickin- I'm sure half of a 20L is fine if they are hatchlings, but I imagine if you are able to tell that Lucy's really a boy, I'd guess they aren't that little anymore :)

Thanks for all your comments...I am really happy with how it all turned out, and glad that others liked it, and that it may spread some ideas around...

-J

HugeGenes&LoLa

This is awesome!! I've really been wanting to build something like this for a while. Out of curiosity... did you just stick a UTH to the bottom of the cage? and is the heat coming through pretty well? Also, about how much did the setup cost you? :) It's beautiful! Great job.

L

LeoTheGodFather

Here's what I put in another thread about my heating...

"UTH....Well, I didn't. Lol....I weighed my options, read several different forums online, talked to some breeders and came to the conclusion that what I have (lamp with dark bulb on dimmer) is just fine for my one gecko and that if I ever decided to breed I would build a rack system for the other's with flexwatt. I know I may get chastised for it, but I KNOW people successfully keep Leo's in MUCH worse setups than mine :D"

So ya....I don't have a UTH....this works better for me right now, but in the future when I get more leo's I will definitely be switching to UTH's....

Thanks for the comments...
-J

Vision Geckos

visiongeckos.com
What kind of clear plastic sheet did you screw onto the front? Where can I find something like that, and for how much? I've researched some prices online and they seem very steep.

Visit our friends