affordable 15 qt rack?

danny662boy

so ive been looking at all sorts of racks, and there all super expensive. i only want something that fits 8 15 qt tubs, has belly heat, and is made outta the pvc plastic sheets... anyone know any good websites that are not animal plastics bc they charge u sooooo much, and dont even give you the tubs?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
As far as I know Animal Plastics is the least expensive rack manufacturer. Have you considered building your own?

danny662boy

i thought about building my own, and i looked at the rack that you built as well as the website that you provided, but i couldnt find the sheets. i guess i didnt know how to maneuver the website?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
i thought about building my own, and i looked at the rack that you built as well as the website that you provided, but i couldnt find the sheets. i guess i didnt know how to maneuver the website?

The website is a pain, you'll be better off calling them.

danny662boy

or i was thinking bout going to homedepot and getting one of those metal racks that are adjustable and are open grated.. then getting heat tape and taping it with that aluminum tape towards the back, and then just getting tubs and lowering the shelf just enough that the top of the tub is covered? does that work?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
The sheets are 4' x 8', just like plywood. I picked it up myself, I would imagine shipping something that large is expensive.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
or i was thinking bout going to homedepot and getting one of those metal racks that are adjustable and are open grated.. then getting heat tape and taping it with that aluminum tape towards the back, and then just getting tubs and lowering the shelf just enough that the top of the tub is covered? does that work?

That is what I use for quarantine, except that I use Ultratherm heat pads instead of heat tape. I think heat tape would have to be insulated for safe use on a metal rack.

DSC02704Medium.jpg

danny662boy

That is what I use for quarantine, except that I use Ultratherm heat pads instead of heat tape. I think heat tape would have to be insulated for safe use on a metal rack.

DSC02704Medium.jpg

oh ya something like that.. really ? 3 " wide flexwatt heat on a thermostat would need to be insulated? what would happen if i used aluminum heat tape and just taped down the edges all the way down per shelf?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
are there any stores that would sell that? how thick? correct name (for when i email them)? and did you use regular screws?

I don't know of any stores that carry it, but Laird Plastics has locations in Pittsburgh and Philly. I used 13mm, the generic name is XPVC, and the brand name of mine is Sintra. Komatex is another equivalent brand. I used regular drywall screws to assemble it.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
oh ya something like that.. really ? 3 " wide flexwatt heat on a thermostat would need to be insulated? what would happen if i used aluminum heat tape and just taped down the edges all the way down per shelf?

Yes, it needs to be insulated (electrically, not thermally).The exposed ends of the heat tape and wiring connections could potentially energize the metal rack and give you or your geckos a shock.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
and if i do the home depot rack... how would i insulate the heat tape? id prolly do separate plugs per shelf of heat tape on that

You should be able to laminate it with a thin plastic the same way Ultratherms are done. I'm not sure what specific product to use though.

Visit our friends