Amoré's Foam and Grout Insert

indyana

Just wanted to post process pictures for the climbing rock insert I created for my leopard gecko, Amoré. Most of the credit for these techniques goes to Lizard-Landscapes.com. :)

1. Because I was building around existing cage furniture, I started out by tracing around the cage elements on a paper cage liner to get the floor plan. I then blocked in the shapes I wanted with both styrofoam and floral foam. At one point, I brought out one of the hides I wanted to build around to be certain I had the cuts right. I used toothpicks and glue to hold everything together.

2. Next step was carving and detailing the structure. I used sculpting tools and my hands to create rock shapes. I also added some small accent pieces.

3. Next step was grouting. First coat thin, next coat a little thicker, third coat thinner again, then I added texture and filling in gaps using a paste consistency. When it was all dried, I smoothed some areas with sandpaper to give it a wind-weathered look.
    Note: I'd just started painting here when I remembered to photograph the grout stage. ^_^;
  4. And now, the painting! Using acrylic paints, I gave it a sand-colored base coat and then incrementally added shading and color variation until I was happy with the look.

5. I added two coats of sealant. If this were for a humid enclosure, I would have done more coats, but this won't be exposed to much moisture in my leopard gecko cage.

6. For texture, I added a final coat of sealant. While wet, I sprinkled sand on the areas that would need traction for a climbing gecko. I then used a pest pistol to dust cosmetic clay over the entire structure. This served to cut down the shine and give the structure a dusty appearance.

And there we have it! I'm going to let this cure for at least a week. I'll then brush/rub it off very well to remove any loose clay and sand before adding it to Amoré's cage.

List of Materials:
  • Foam insulation board
  • Floral foam
  • Exacto knife
  • Carving tools
  • Toothpicks
  • Loctite Power Grab all-purpose clear construction adhesive
  • MAPEI Keracolor unsanded powder grout
  • Water
  • Paint brushes
  • Knife (for applying/texturing grout paste)
  • Craft Smart non-toxic acrylic paint
  • Shields All #50 sealant
  • Craft sand
  • Cosmetic clay (kaolin clay)
  • Pest pistol

Visit our friends