Anybody breed fat tails on newspaper/paper towel?

M

mom2twinsplus2

I know all the care sheets from all the big AFT breeders say to keep the fat tails on a substrate that will be the humidity high but I have been keeping my fat tails on newspaper or paper towel because I just feel better knowing they are not eating any bedding when I feed them and also being better able to moniter exactly what they are eating and how much they are pooping (I am forever finding roaches and crickets hidden in the cages with ecoearth here-LOL). I have a humid hide that I mist daily in both my fat tail's cage and the fat tails seem to be thriving and growing and eating well and all that but I am wondering about breeding...I haven't tried to encourage that yet but I am wondering if I am going to have to get over my fear of the more naturalistic beddings if I am going to try to breed or not.

Anyone successfully breeding AFTS kept on newspaper?

Thanks!

Alison

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I do keep my fat tails on eco earth, but I have a specific area designated as a lay box (they have ceramic hides with ceramic bottoms and I'm trying to keep the female from laying in there because they will shrivel up) which the female used for her first clutch. If you make a lay box with something the female can dig in, there's a good chance she'll use that to lay her eggs.

Aliza

lpcad

You can definitely get them to breed using news paper or paper towel as a substrate. Check the cage for eggs often (including the water bowl) and make sure you have a lay box, even though female fat tails don't always use it to lay eggs in.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
i use no substrate. Just make sure you have a lay box with something moist (vermiculite, eco-earth, peat moss, etc.) and they will lay in their. Just make sure it is humid.

M

mom2twinsplus2

Cool! That is good to know. I have an ecoearth humid hide in all the cages already that I make sure is moist everyday and I was planning on putting in a vermiculite/peat moss lay box as well if I do decide to breed.

Our reptile collection is very new but growing like crazy but we haven't tried to breed anything yet. I am trying to decide what to breed at the moment...I am thinking either fat tail or crested but I can't decide. I do have a set of rehomed m/f AFTS that are together but they have never tried to breed for their previous owner so I figuring they won't unless I seperate them for a while or something. I dunno.

Anyhow, thanks for all the information! I can glad to know it could work! Now I gotta decide what to do about making some new purchases or introductions-LOL!

Alison

Visit our friends