Appropriate UTH Size

B

bkimura

Hello everyone,
I'll be using an Exo Terra 18x18x18 glass terrarium for a couple of female geckos that I'll be picking up this weekend. I'm in the process of trying to workout the heat/light setup. I have a Zoo Med Medium 10 to 20 gallon heat pad that I had picked up awhile back for a bearded dragon setup that I'm no longer using. The dimensions are 6"x9". If I place a digital temperature probe directly on the substrate approximately centered over the UTH, I can achieve temp readings of 85-90. However, being that the UTH isn't very big, the temps start to drop off rapidly if I venture off from this location even a few inches. I also have a medium Exo Terra reptile den that I'll be placing directly over the UTH. As you can imagine, the den will pretty much cover the majority of the UTH, thus once they step outside of the den, the temps will most likely be 80-85, and that's directly up against the den. Based on the size of my tank, would it make sense to purchase the next size up UTH? (30-40 gallon) Or would you just supplement the heat with an infrared bulb? Maybe both? BTW, I do live in New England so it can get pretty cold. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

- Bill

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You could start out by taping a piece of aluminum foil over the UTH, so the UTH is sandwiched between the glass and the aluminum foil. That seems to direct more of the heat upwards. I would worry that going to a 30-40 gallon UTH would cover too much of the bottom and make a thermal gradient difficult to achieve. I'm in the Boston area and do pretty well with the zoo-meds and also zoo-med heat cable that I prefer these days.

Aliza

Visit our friends