Baby Gecko is not eating very well....

Gecko4me

Our baby gecko is not eating very well. We have had it for about 2 wks now and it was eating pretty well last week, but then I noticed it was regurgitating some of its mealies and now the last few days its not eating at all. I am going to try new mealies in the dish and actually count them, so I can be sure it's not eating at all, but we are getting worried about it. :main_huh: I don't think the mealies are too big, they are between really very small (like kite string diameter) to a bit bigger (about the size of the end of a shoe lace-plastic piece in diameter.) My son has tried hand feeding as that worked w/ our other baby gecko, but this one doesn't seem to take to that at all. :main_no: Is there any kind of suppliment or something I can buy that would make the food more appetizing?? Should I try a few waxies to at least add something to its diet?? I'll go buy a few crickets again tomorrow and see if they are anymore appetizing for it, as I think it did eat them last time as I didn't see them still in the cage. (They just seemed a bit big, (bigger than the space between its eyes) so I worried about impacting) Any thoughts?? My son will be devastated if we lose this little guy. I will be too, its so cute!!

I think the temps are okay, I have a UTH and put a thermometer on the paper towel on the bottom of the tank and its just under 90 degrees. Should I add an overhead light too??? To me the bottom doesn't feel that warm, but according to the thermometer it is.

I do see a couple of small poop spots so I guess its eating something, but I just thought a baby was suppose to eat better than this.

Jessie

GeckoNub

Try to get the floor temp up to atleat 95, i think below 90 might be too low for it to digest properly and that could be why it regurged.

Also make sure u have a digital thermometer as the dial and strip ones are pretty pants.

If you're feeding worms in a dish make sure u swap them for fresh ones every day so they are gutloaded :)

My babies i got recently ate out of a dish the first day or so but then didnt want to, so i just drop the worms infront of them now and they eat fine.

If you're worried the crickets are too big try to get smaller or just use mealworms. Ive been surprised by how big the food items can be and they still manage, just dont go too big. Make sure u always dust them with calcium too to help their bones ;)

I would try waxworms as they are good for fattening them up if theyre a bit skinny and most geckos will love them. Just be careful not to only feed them, as they can get addicted to them and then refuse other food.

Sometimes my babies will miss the odd day where they dont want any food but then they will eat the day after. If you're finding poops then hopefully it is ok and isnt starving.

Good luck with the little one and hope i helped :)

Gecko4me

Thanx yes all good info. I wonder why my UTH isn't getting any warmer, although I was just using a reg. thermometer so maybe I need a better one? If not, I'll add a light as well to get it warm enough. It did eat a bit better last night, about 8 mealworms (4 from my son and 4 from the dish in the night.)

Jessie

Visit our friends