Back heat vs. Belly heat.

maggiee22195

Hey, so I was wondering which you think is better back or belly heat. I think back heat would be easier, but to me, it has really no benefit, like belly heat does.
What do you guys think? And what do you guys use?

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
Belly heat is necessary for proper digestion. Which means that a heat source coming through the bottom of the tank would be the best option. For future reference, it'll help consolidate things if you make up a list of all your questions beforehand, and post them all in one place. Checking out the care sheets at the top of the site is another very good place to start. Last, there is a nifty "search" function for the entire forum. Most of the questions you have asked have come up plenty of times before. Archived posts are a great source of information, because all the questions and what-ifs and hypotheticals have been hashed out and answered by experienced leopard gecko owners already.

maggiee22195

Belly heat is necessary for proper digestion. Which means that a heat source coming through the bottom of the tank would be the best option. For future reference, it'll help consolidate things if you make up a list of all your questions beforehand, and post them all in one place. Checking out the care sheets at the top of the site is another very good place to start. Last, there is a nifty "search" function for the entire forum. Most of the questions you have asked have come up plenty of times before. Archived posts are a great source of information, because all the questions and what-ifs and hypotheticals have been hashed out and answered by experienced leopard gecko owners already.

Ok Thanks! I know it is needed for digestion... I just don't know why some use it then... Ya know?

gixxer3420

All my racks have back heat. Ive never had any problems with any of my geckos. Ive had them in racks with back heat for ten years now.

GeckoGurl

I use belly heat... with a back heat as a back up. It is only used when temps drop... I have lived in a house with poor insulation and heating so an UTH and a red heat lamp was neccesary for me to keep it balanced. sometimes I turn the lamp on just for an hour or so to help warm tank because my bf thinks he is an eskimo and likes the house cold.... otherwise im belly heat all the way

Jordan

i have always been told that belly heat was important so its what ive used for 3 years. I knw its not as long as others have been , but so far ive had no problems. :)

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Back VS belly heat really has to do with the setup and the general temperatures of your house. I think either can work out quite well if done properly. The idea is to provide the correct temperature gradient, and either way can be used to do so if done properly.

Visit our friends