best cage cleaner?

artgecko

Are you just wanting to sanitize it or get the grime off?

A dilute bleach solution or mild detergent (if you need to get dirt etc off). Make sure you rinse it extremely well, several times to get cleaner residue off. After you have it clean, be sure to sanitize it with dilute bleach or chlorohexidine to be sure any parasites and virus are killed.

Quantumhigh

Geckos of Oz
chlorohexadine is the way to go. You might have trouble finding it in stores. I had to order it from reptilebasics. All the chain pet stores either didnt have it or can you belive this requires a perscription. Lame as hell!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
White vinegar is the only thing I Know of that can take old dried urine crystals off an old rabbit cage pan, so I vote white vinegar for the grime and any water marks that might be left behind if it was previously used for fish, then disinfect with the chlorohexidine. You can get it just about anywhere on line: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=where+to+buy+Dual+action+formula.+Deep+blue+color.+Special+skin+conditioners.+CHG+teat+dip+-+unique+dual+action+formula+contains+0.35%25+chlorhexidine+gluconate+and+0.20%25+quaternary+ammonia.+Special+conditioners+are+mild+to+the+teat+and+skin.+Its+deep+blue+color+shows+you+which+teats+have+been+dipped.+&aq=f&oq=#hl=en&&sa=X&ei=DULQTIbuPIa8lQfyudDsBg&ved=0CBwQvgUoAA&q=where+to+buy+chlorohexidine&nfpr=1&fp=8e8f35a77978fbf6You can also get something almost identical at tractor supply calle dteat dip for cattle. http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-health/livestock-teat-udder-treatments/dairyland-chg-teat-dip-2214126

"Ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate and Quaternary Ammonia
Color: Deep Blue
Dimensions: 5 3/8 x 5 3/8 x 11 3/8"

"Dual action formula. Deep blue color. Special skin conditioners. CHG teat dip - unique dual action formula contains 0.35% chlorhexidine gluconate and 0.20% quaternary ammonia. Special conditioners are mild to the teat and skin. Its deep blue color shows you which teats have been dipped".

However I'd be more inclined to order on line the pure chlorohexidine as the moistureizers in his and the blue color may stain your tank.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
lysol isn't as likely to get into all the small pourous spaces that using a liquid based cleaner would.

Daedric1

lysol isn't as likely to get into all the small pourous spaces that using a liquid based cleaner would.

When I say Lysol, I guess I meant the kind that comes in a spray bottle, so it is indeed a liquid. (I didn't know there was a non-liquid based Lysol, lol)

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
It's an aerosol, an aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in a gas, meaning it also has air bubbles which would be devoid of any of the useful liquid particles thereby not doing as good a job at completely disinfecting like a solid liquid based item would. Not to be technical or anything but... there is a difference... :main_robin:

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I am not a huge fan of using so many chemicals to clean cages. I use Natural habitat for routine cleaning and Diluted Bleach every 4-6 months for a more thorough cleaning. By no means am I saying to not clean your cages regularly and with a cleaning agent...I just think the excessive use of chemicals is not going to help anything.

Skydiver Keith

I am not a huge fan of using so many chemicals to clean cages. I use Natural habitat for routine cleaning and Diluted Bleach every 4-6 months for a more thorough cleaning. By no means am I saying to not clean your cages regularly and with a cleaning agent...I just think the excessive use of chemicals is not going to help anything.

+1
I only clean the litter box corner, and then only with alcohol which leaves no residue. I never put feeders in the enclosure and leos are incredibly clean animals, so I never have to clean the enclosure.

Daedric1

It's an aerosol, an aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in a gas, meaning it also has air bubbles which would be devoid of any of the useful liquid particles thereby not doing as good a job at completely disinfecting like a solid liquid based item would. Not to be technical or anything but... there is a difference... :main_robin:

Wow, apparently there are a lot more forms of Lysol than I was thinking. This is the kind I meant, which is a spray and not an aerosol:

Lysol-All-Purpose-Cleaner-LSS-_i_S01_61174.jpg

Visit our friends