Best Substrate for leopard geckos?

telliott4

Hey Grace, all substrates have pros and cons. Most people will likely say paper towel. It depends on what you are doing. Is it a natural terrarium or a rack? Particulate substrate pros are that they stay more "clean" because poop can kind of mix in, absorb liquid and odors; cons are that your lizard can ingest it and possibly become impacted. I will get some flack for this but I have used both shredded aspen and sani chips and seen them in the stool of a select few geckos without any impaction (they are no longer on particulate). Paper products are pretty much the safest but do very little for odor and aesthetics. Tile is another option that I have not personally used but looks good and is safe. Basically it depends on you, your gecko and your setup.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

pipespets

Do not use any loose substrate. Aspen may be okay... but i wouldnt take that risk. Anything that a gecko can fit in there mouth will end up in them. And it will cause impaction. Paper towel is the easiest to clean and if you are using a rack then paper towel is great. If you want it to look prettier you can use reptile carpet. Just make sure with reptile carpet that its not all stringy because ive had my geckos loose a claw in the crappy kind of carpet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Visit our friends