Breeders that don't know morphs...

Taquiq

JK Herp
I get annoyed when breeders with hatchlings ask what morph the hatchling is. If they breed I think they should know the morphs already and try to learn genetics. Unless it is a morph with a ton of combos should this be asked. :main_angry: This is not to be taken the wrong way.

courtnashe

I lovez me my animals
Sometimes it can be hard to ID what morph the lizard is, like my male, I have no idea and those who have looked at the board have no idea as well.

Taquiq

JK Herp
Yea, I understand new people that get into the hobby aren't very familiar with morphs. I'm saying breeders should at least take the time to learn about morphs instead of producing hatchings and asking what every one of them is.

courtnashe

I lovez me my animals
Yea, I understand new people that get into the hobby aren't very familiar with morphs. I'm saying breeders should at least take the time to learn about morphs instead of producing hatchings and asking what every one of them is.
----------
Yeah they should get books if they are seriously considering breeding leos.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I hate it even more when "breeders" ask basic husbandry issues. e.g. I bought 2 geckos yesterday and put them together and they mated. So what do they eat?

Taquiq

JK Herp
I hate it even more when "breeders" ask basic husbandry issues. e.g. I bought 2 geckos yesterday and put them together and they mated. So what do they eat?

Oh yeah, that's a killer. I also hate when newbies think they can breed right away. They should have basic experience in husbandry before even considering it.

And when newbies think they know everything and start giving false advice.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
well speaking as a "newbie" to leo breeding, i think my case is a little different. ive kept and bred reptiles since i was very young. everything from balls, to rainbow boas, to lizards, torts, turtles, etc... now as far as leos, ive gone from never owning one to over 150 in about 3 months. the difference is that after my first leo i was hooked, and spent more time studying them that i ever studied in college. before even considering breeding i spoke to several well known breeders, many from this site and others like it, read several different books, and of course researched online as much as i could cram into my head. i have the space, financial means, and time to spend with that many reptiles, and even though i plan on breeding, i see all of my animals as pets. ive even gone so far as to start planning the opening of my own pet store that specializes in exotics. however, no matter how much i have read, there is always someone that knows more than you, and i am still learning about the husbandry of leos. and don't think that i will ever stop learning. specifically regarding morphs and genetics. im well aware of the basics of genetics regarding recessive and dominant traits, but i have to admit at first it was completely overwhelming trying to learn how to identify what specific morph a gecko was not knowing the lineage. there also seems to be an abundance of what seems to be misleading or inaccurate information from "so called" gecko experts that can confuse someone new to breeding. now as far as asking "hey, this just hatched, what is it", in my case ive purchased several females that were unknowingly gravid, and due to bad record keeping there is no way to tell what morphs the sire and dam were. on the other hand, dealing with breeders such as tony, kelli, robin, and bryan, you know exactly what you are getting when you get it. sorry for rambling but please remember that we all started somewhere and probably asked our fair share of what could have been considered "newbie" questions when starting out. i am by no means an expert on the husbandry of any species, but some of the members here i would consider pros. i have leaned heavily on their posts, ideas, opinions, and advice and will continue to do so. now that being said, its my opinion that if you can't even do a simple google search for "what kind of hide should i use for my leo", then i don't think you have any business taking on the responsibility of providing a healthy environment for any animal. much less trying to breed them. and if you're in it for the money, keep your day job. i do it because i love reptiles and i am fascinated by the possibilities genetically speaking. sorry for the novel and now ill shut up

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
well speaking as a "newbie" to leo breeding, i think my case is a little different.

Prior experience with other herps and a solid background in genetics goes a long way toward reducing the learning curve. I got my first leo less than a year ago...

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
and tony its people like you that give breeders a good name. it obvious that you know your stuff and care for all of your animals, props to you man.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I think that being new is one thing, but you need to learn. I started breeding within 3 months of owning geckos, but I read everything I could before then. I still had questions, but I had a basic understanding of genetics. Breeders should at least know the genetic possibilities of the geckos they are breeding. It's really not that hard to learn. If you don't know what you're going to get from a pair, don't breed them!

Taquiq

JK Herp
I completely understand Tony, Shawn, and Kristi. A lot of experience in other reptiles really helps but if you do your research before that and know what it takes then it is fine if you breed early. I just don't like people that breed and then start asking questions about general care.

Last edited:

Visit our friends