Breeding Feeders?

SonrienteMuerte

I'm looking to start breeding my own feeder bugs, and need some input on what would be the best kind to breed.

I can not breed the roaches, and would prefer to stay away from crickets (Parents' orders.)

But, I plan on breeding them for both my 2 bearded dragons, and my gecko.

I would like to say, that before the bearded dragons, this wouldn't have been an issue, and I would have just continued to buy them, but I have been informed (A week after I got the dragons) that they need 200+ bugs a day, each (Babies). Please do not tell me I need to do my research next time, because I was reading everything I could and just never found the website that had this info before I was googling harnesses for the dragons. -_-

Anyways, I refuse to quit on either of my new reptile friends, but in no way can afford to buy 3000 bugs a week.... (I'm sure you can understand)

So what are some eas(ier) quick breeding feeders? And can you link to how to breed them?

Thank you!

crazylizardlady

Dubia roaches are what Ive had the most success with but since you cant do those I would shoot for mealworms. Theyre pretty easy to breed and inexpensive to get set up though your colony will take some time before you can start feeding from it. Theres a great thread in the feeders section on breeding mealworms that can get you all set up :)
I dont know much about beardies I have leos and cresties but I think 200+ bugs a day seems quite excessive. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about beardies can give you more info on that but I cant seen any lizard eating that much in a day. I feed 12 leopard geckos and I dont I use 200 bugs in a day for all of them put together. I would maybe check on that again and talk to a few other people about how much to feed the beardies.

Last edited:

SonrienteMuerte

Its when they are babies, I know geckos don't eat that much, but I've been reading people's experiences where their babies eat a ton. If I am reading wrong info those, please tell me before I start trying to breed an army of bugs. Also, I'm not sure how true this info is either, but I've also read mealworms are harder on beardies intestines? Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

But you wouldn't happen to know where I could find info on breeding mealies would you? Even if I can just get a small set up for them, That would feed the gecko for sure during the winter.

crazylizardlady

Its when they are babies, I know geckos don't eat that much, but I've been reading people's experiences where their babies eat a ton. If I am reading wrong info those, please tell me before I start trying to breed an army of bugs. Also, I'm not sure how true this info is either, but I've also read mealworms are harder on beardies intestines? Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

But you wouldn't happen to know where I could find info on breeding mealies would you? Even if I can just get a small set up for them, That would feed the gecko for sure during the winter.

I edited my last post to add theres a fantastic thread in the feeders section on here about breeding mealies check that out first. Then maybe do some more reading and searching about the beardie. I just asked a friend who has a baby beardie she said he eats nowhere near that amount of bugs again I dont know much about them so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help with that aspect.

SonrienteMuerte

OK, Thank you! Ya, I'm not sure, but I know I read how one person's baby ate like 142 crickets (Their daughter counted) in one go... But that may not be the norm?

crazylizardlady

I just did a quick google search and the three sites I looked at all said to let it eat as much as it wants in a 15 minute window, nothing wider than the space between the eyes. Good luck :) I would just do some more reading, most places wont tell you exactly how much to feed just to do it in a window.

SonrienteMuerte

OK, Thanks. Also, I know you have a gecko, but do you leave worms of some sort out in a dish at all times? Because I want to make sure its ok, since I am trying that with the dragons. I work weird schedules (10+ hour shifts sometimes), so I can't be feeding them multiple times a day like I probably should be.

crazylizardlady

I feed all my guys at night just once a day, babies get fed everyday subadults every other day and older ones every 3 or 4 days. The babies I sit with and watch to see how much they eat the older ones I put food in a bowl most of the time.

SonrienteMuerte

I think mine is weird then, because she is up randomly, and she is always moving around. She does move around more as soon as I turn off my light for the night, but even during the day she is active, at least when I am home. But oh well, she is my gecko and she just fits in with the family. XD

Visit our friends