Building your own rack.

Adinar

With how many geckos we are up to, it's become quite apparent that we def. need to look into a rack system. I've been pricing them for some time, and they are REALLY REALLY overpriced. lol. I did happen to come across this website.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/254074/how_to_build_a_cheap_snake_rack.html?cat=53

Sounds simple enough. Have any of you guys ever tried something like this? My main concern is the heating. We have heating tape, but would that get too hot for the flimsy material that is commonly used for bookshelves these days? I know there is a step that has you cut ventilation holes, but it still makes me wonder if it would get too hot and possibly become a fire hazard.

Maybe I'm sounding overly paranoid, but eh. I would rather not burning my house down. lol.

And if anyone has ever built a rack like this, were there any other tips or tricks you can come up with? I am no carpenter, so this could get interesting.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Heat tape must be thermostatically controlled, so if it is set up properly it will never get hot enough to ignite the rack. I personally wouldn't bother with a converted bookshelf, you are better off building a custom rack or buying one. Having tubs with lids in a rack like that article shows is a real pain, you will quickly come to hate it.

Adinar

Yeah, I had taken a look at the sticky before. The only thing that has me on that one is

1) Where do I build it here. There's no room. lol.
2) How do you wire it up then for heating.

Visit our friends