Calcium Water

Geckomaster743

Is it ok to put Rep - Cal in my Leopard geckos water? They often make a mess every time i dust meal worms or crickets. Is it safe in water?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I don't think it will dissolve completely in water... will it?

Caleb C

I have no idea, it should be able to dissolve in warm water, but you might put too little or too much, and i heard that lots of the nutrients will be gone when you expose it to air too long.

Styx

There is liquid calcium you can put in water, but I don't think I would do it over dusting. I just add a bit to some of my females during breeding season if they aren't eating as well as I like them to.

Geckomaster743

It's best if you just dust, it's not too much of a hassle, just don't dust too much.
Alright i'll do that, Ive already begun gutloading. Or atleast i think. I put herpative and Rep - Cal in the mealworm container and then they begun spreading it themselves. Right now the whole container is full of dusty oats that i belive they ate. Otherwise I havent tried the Calcium water but i will try dusting. How many pinches?

Caleb C

I don't think that putting calcium powder in with them gutloads them. Just raise them like you normally do, and dust it before feeding. I get forceps, and i pinch some powder, then dump it into the dusting container. It lightly covers them with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geckomaster743

I don't think that putting calcium powder in with them gutloads them. Just raise them like you normally do, and dust it before feeding. I get forceps, and i pinch some powder, then dump it into the dusting container. It lightly covers them with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Gutloading thing seems to naturally dust them. When i take them out they are covered in the Dust and the same for my fingers. They may not eat the calcium but its all over there food because i shook it and they spread it around.

Caleb C

It's a waste of calcium powder if you just dump it in though, you can use a tiny amount and cover them every couple meals, with all the mealworms covered up with calcium, they would get too much calcium.

Geckomaster743

It's a waste of calcium powder if you just dump it in though, you can use a tiny amount and cover them every couple meals, with all the mealworms covered up with calcium, they would get too much calcium.
Wow....I guess your right. I used to do that but i would make a bigger mess out of my hands... I'll take your Advice

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I bought a Rep-Cal Cricket Shaker from Petsmart; it makes coating crickets super easy, and I'm sure it would work for mealworms too.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Josh - that's the one. I love mine. Plus, all the extra calcium falls to the bottom chamber and you can reuse it on the next batch of crickets.

Visit our friends