Can I use a heat rope instead of pad?

bebetee

So..doing the right thing since I am completely confused about ..one of my Leo who I believe IS a female but just in case I bought a tank divider so I can separate them. They were both in a 20GLONG so the heat pad was on the one side ..since I am splitting the tank up and instead of getting ANOTHER heat pad ..can I just use zoo med's heat rope to give the heat? Of course I will be using a thermostat ..but is the heat rope/cable okay to use instead of having ..another heat pad?

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Our personal experience with heat cable is that sections of it tend to go out quickly and without warning. Maybe others have had more luck and will give their opinion.

fl_orchidslave

I like heat tape better than rope, it is more mobile since it doesn't need to be taped down. On glass tanks, a slate floor tile can be placed under tape to bring it in contact with the glass.

bebetee

Yah .. I don't really want to use heat tape ..much more confusing for me ( honestly ) Just need to know if heat rope is okay to use instead of a under tank heat PAD

Jordan

i use heat rope on my rack and its fine. the temp has to be pumped up pretty high though for enough heat to get through into the tank. but besides that ive had no problems with it.
the only thing is, it heats up a thin strip of where the heat cable goes underneath, not a whole side of the tank.

oh and also there is a section at the start of the cable that is not warm, so if you get the 3m one, then like the first 50cm will be cool. but the rest is fine.

bebetee

jordon what do you mean by
it heats up a thin strip of where the heat cable goes underneath, not a whole side of the tank. ?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
After you go thru erverything you would need to use heat rope such as getting the rope, positioning it properly, securing it, and then getting the thermostat to control the temps wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to get another UTH???

bebetee

After you go thru erverything you would need to use heat rope such as getting the rope, positioning it properly, securing it, and then getting the thermostat to control the temps wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to get another UTH???

No, because since I have 3 tanks I'm planning to rope the heat cable to all three ..it's long enough. So instead of having 3 UTHpads on ..I'll have one long cable to all 3 save's on gas bills.

Jordan

jordon what do you mean by
it heats up a thin strip of where the heat cable goes underneath, not a whole side of the tank. ?

Well because the rope is only thin, and it goes under the tank it only heats up the thin strip above it. So in the tank there will be a thin strip of heat where the heat cable is, rather than it heating up a whole side.
To get around this i suggest getting a cable double the length you need and doubling it back on itself.
but i havent done this as it is providing enough heat.

edit: i have to be honest the heat rope is more worth it when youve got a rack and need to heat quite a few leos for less bills.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
It'll only save on the utility bill if the amount of watts used to run the heat rope is less than the 3 uth's combined. So say you're running 3-7 watt heat mats, is the heat rope going to use less than 21 watts of energy? Plus the wattage of the thermostat as well.

Visit our friends