canibalism

Perefalcon

Jill?????
Aaliyah tried to eat one of my holdbacks from this year, I guess I'm not going to keep the younger ones in the big tank after all. Looks like she tried to eat the whole baby, it dropped it's tail and is now seemingly paralyzed...I put neosporin on the tail and I've got it in the incubator for the night. Now, I know that it's probably not going to survive, but I'd like to give it a chance, I'm really hoping that it's just the shock of the attack.

Last edited:
M

mayabear52

I very sorry for what happen. I'll really hope that she makes it. Best of luck.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
I feel so bad about this, I should have known better. this morning, the baby didn't look any better, it actually looked worse, so I put it in the fridge and after an hour, into the freezer. when I had picked it up, it barely moved.

boutiquegecko

(Aaliyah tried to eat one of my holdbacks from this year, I guess I'm not going to keep the younger ones in the big tank after all.)

Wait, did you put a hatchling in with adults? Am I reading this wrong?
And why did you put it in the fridge & freezer? Was it still breathing?

boutiquegecko said:
(Aaliyah tried to eat one of my holdbacks from this year, I guess I'm not going to keep the younger ones in the big tank after all.)

Wait, did you put a hatchling in with adults? Am I reading this wrong?
And why did you put it in the fridge & freezer? Was it still breathing?

that is what I am thinking

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
so all this means that leos are cannibles?
Most reptiles, leos included, do not have maternal instincts. This is why they bury their eggs and leave them. A hatchling leopard gecko is food for adults... it is their instinct to eat small things that move. Their own young are no exception.

boutiquegecko

You might want to consider keeping all future babies by themselves. There are breeders who keep hatchlings of same size and sex together and start to separate once they differ in sizes to promote good eating/health. Then there are breeders who keep all hatchling in thier own enclosure to avoid any issues that might arise in a group setting. Marcia's right-leos eat smaller moving things.

Oh and Marcia, I love that song :)

Perefalcon

Jill?????
yes I know this, I had seperated them fmo a younger hatchling. they were a month old. The other 2 that were also put in there are fine. Some reason this one attracted her attention. It's also only Aaliyah and 2 younger leos in that tank. It's a 55 long with plenty of hides and space. I've only had this issue once before but I think it was one of the females I just sold. And as for the freezer, anyone around here can tell you, by putting them into a fridge you slow down their systems (put them into a sort of hibernation) once they've been in that state for a few hours, you put them into the freezer and they just go to sleep. Just so you know I was advised by many many other people on this site, with much more experiance than I, to put it down, since a leo who is half paralyzed cannot live any kind of fullfilling life. It is the HUMANE thing to do. Especially when it's just going to suffer if it's not put down.

LeosForLess

A friend of mine had rescued a gecko and he gave it a few days, but it obviously would not make it. He fridged it than in the freezer. Its that, or bringing it to the vet to do it, which the gecko will just get a shot and put out. The freezer works just as well.

rhac

I have to say something about the freezer thing.
I'm sorry that I have to say that, but it is not a good way!
I've had long discussions with my vet, biology teachers etc.
The problem is: at 0°C and even at lover temps the gecko is still alive. But at these temperatures the blood freezes. So it is possible that the gecko dies because of frozen blood. Ok you could say at those temperatures the gecko is sleeping so it will not note anything so it's a good way.
But that's wrong. As we learned in biology classes short before death through cold, reptiles start to get active again and can even move again.
So PLEASE do not use the Freezer thing anymore. Go to a vet. He knows what to do.

and Tonya: I'm very sorry for you. That was a cute little hatchling.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
I'd make a bit long comment about this, since I spent a lot of time taking the required classes for teaching biology. But I don't like starting debates. Just know this, there are a lot of people in the reptile world who know that it is a safe way to put a lizard down. I'd rather put it in the freezer on a saturday, than make it SUFFER till monday

N

newbreeder1

unbelievable

Please do not take offense to this at all, but I can't even believe that you would put a picture of your paralyzed/dying baby after you put him in the tank with adult geckos. Anyone who has done any research at all and has any experience knows not to put your younger and smaller leos in with your adults. I am shocked and disgusted at the same time that you would #1 put him/her in with your adults (which I hope you removed all of the remaining babies) #2 You would put this disturbing picture on here. which basically flaunts your ignorance as a breeder. I am so sorry for your baby and I hope this is a lesson for everyone who doesn't realize that you can't put your little ones with your adults. I am so sorry for you loss also because he was a very cute baby.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
guess what, offense taken, of all things I was not flaunting ANYTHING, I was trying to get help to see if there was anything to do about him. I got that help, which was why he was put down. I have no other issues with that adult being in with other younger females, there is a 3 month old and 4 month old who also reside in that exact tank. I didn't post to get slaughtered, I posted for help.
that's all I've got to say, and that's the last thing I'm going to say. As far as I'm concerned this issue is closed. PERIOD

Visit our friends