Ceramic Heat Emitters?

leogecko88

I am thinking about changing to a ceramic heat emitter as the heat source for Yoshi. Would a 100 watt emitter put out the same heat as a 100 watt light bulb? Can the reflectors used with light bulbs be used with a ceramic heat emitter, or do they need some special reflector?

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Geckos are nocturnal, thus the light will deter them from basking. In the wild the gain their warmth from the ground as the sun is setting. You should not switch to a ceramic bulb exclusively. Some leos don't mind the bulbs but I see you have an albino...they are even more sensitive to light and it will probably drive her crazy. Stick with UTH or another bottom heat source. Whats your desire to switch to the bulb?

leogecko88

I am currently using a red bulb as the primary heat source. I want to switch to a ceramic heat emitter, because they do not produce light. The floor temp is the same as it would be with a uth.

slayer

100watts is alot for such a small tank (20gal high right?)! Cover up most of the top of your enclosure so it can actualy HOLD the heat in and you can use a much smaller wattage bulb to get your temps. That many watts and an open top tank = gecko jerky making machine.

p.s. forget the C.H.E. there is no need for such an expensive heat source ($20) when a 40watt household bulb can do as good a job for only $1

Last edited:

leogecko88

My tank is a forty gallon and 18 inches tall. I have to use a 100 watt bulb to get the warm side to 92. If I covered most of the top with plexiglass or something, do you think a 60 watt bulb would do the job? Would it still make the proper temp gradient?

slayer

My tank is a forty gallon and 18 inches tall. I have to use a 100 watt bulb to get the warm side to 92. If I covered most of the top with plexiglass or something, do you think a 60 watt bulb would do the job? Would it still make the proper temp gradient?
................ Definitly. To give you an idea, i use two 45 watt floods (a total of 90watts) to heat my entire Sav enclosure 7'x4'x4' and my temp gradient is from 145F (surface temp under the basking lights) down to 75F (air temp on the cool side and lower portions of the enclosure). The key is keeping the heat in and tanks with open tops make that almost impossible.

Last edited:

leogecko88

Hmm... I hate experimenting when the gecko is in the tank. But I am at home all day, so I can keep an eye on things. I have a 60 watt red bulb. Maybe I'll try it if I can find something to cover part of the tank. I don't have anything besides cardboard or a towel. Would that work?

slayer

Hmm... I hate experimenting when the gecko is in the tank. But I am at home all day, so I can keep an eye on things. I have a 60 watt red bulb. Maybe I'll try it if I can find something to cover part of the tank. I don't have anything besides cardboard or a towel. Would that work?
....................... Ive always used tin foil to cover 95% of the top with just an open space large enough to rest the light fixture on the screen. Cardboard would work, a towel will not.

Last edited:
I was sitting here reading this thread and was wondering something. If you are willing to pay 20.00 for a heat emitter why not just buy a under the tank heater as that is what the gecko really needs. You said you have the gecko in a forty gallon tank. The UTH will stick to the bottom of the tank and transfer heat threw the glass with no problems. I am not trying to sound mean, I was just wondering if there was a reason you are trying to find other heat sources.

leogecko88

I am going to be switching Yoshi's reptile carpet to a sand/soil mix soon. With the depth of the substrate I will be using, an under tank heater would never get the tank to the right temp. I need to use an overhead heat source for proper temperatures.

Visit our friends