Chinese Water Dragon!

Geckomaster743

I know there is already a Forum Topic about this but I'm planning on getting one! Any one want to recommend any thing like what i should prepare for or where to get information from so i can research or be ready for when they get sick! Any thoughts on these :3 One of the Biggest Reasons i want one of these is so i can have a Pet bigger then my Arm! It would be my Carnivorous - Insect Eating Green DEMON!!!
4085141113_75e680a8fc_z.jpg

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Never had one and don't know anyone who has, but a few general thoughts. MOST IMPORTANT: find a good vet and do a checkup with fecal parasite exam asap after you get him. This is especially important if you get him from a pet store, since they often sell sick animals, but you should still do a vet check if you get him from a breeder.

These guys get big and will need a LOT of running and climbing room, even when young. I would say 55 gallons at least for juveniles. You're going to need something really expensive or custom built for adults. I think they need higher humidity, so you'll need a misting system or something similar. They also like to swim, so having a little pool in the cage will be nice, but it'll probably get pooped in so you'll have to clean it out a lot. (Also, remember bigger lizard = bigger poop.) This website has some beautiful cage examples with little pool areas at the bottom:
http://www.jworlds.net/intro.html These are more for bigger lizards (iguanas, monitors) and snakes, but a water dragon would absolutely LOVE something like this too.

Gut load and/or dust your insects. Repashy has some good gut loading products. It might be worth starting your own roach colony (Blastica dubia are one of the most common). I've heard roaches are more nutritious than crickets.

Geckomaster743

Wow thanks! Yeah I've Decided i'd give him a Cage to walk around when i do get him a Couple Months from now when i have my Planning set! But i'll make sure most of his Fun is going to be Outside his Cage! Like in the Summer he can go Swimming with me in a Kiddie Pool ( Highly Doubt i would fit but he would have fun :D ) And then we can go for Walks around the House on a Leash! Great Adventures Haha!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Story time: I had an iguana as a kid. We got her from a pet store, and she broke both her front arms within a couple weeks of bringing her home because she had MBD. The vet put her arms in casts taped to her chest until they healed. We figured we could let her walk around on the ground outside since she was crippled. Then something spooked her and she took off running. I almost didn't catch her, she was so fast even though she was only on two legs. The moral of the story is, make sure you use a leash outside because lizards are fast!

Geckomaster743

Story time: I had an iguana as a kid. We got her from a pet store, and she broke both her front arms within a couple weeks of bringing her home because she had MBD. The vet put her arms in casts taped to her chest until they healed. We figured we could let her walk around on the ground outside since she was crippled. Then something spooked her and she took off running. I almost didn't catch her, she was so fast even though she was only on two legs. The moral of the story is, make sure you use a leash outside because lizards are fast!
The Leo's are Fast as it is I think i was Sorta thinking that but THAT FAST???? I thought the leash was just for fun :eek:

They need a huge enclosure and they are more of a intermediate to experince persont that has the room and they are very super fast and they need lots of space with enough water so they can get in and move around and they get around 30 inches so yea lol.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Don't know much about them but keep us updated! That's a beautiful photo you posted above

Geckomaster743

Yeah I know they can be Tamed and super friendly, My only Concerns are the Size of there Poop and The Space other then that They are good to go!

Visit our friends