Cleaning Crypto from a Tank

ValH

I had a leopard gecko die from what I am fairly sure was crypto. I would like to get another gecko some time in the future. How can I clean the tank and the items in it to make sure that any future gecko does not get the disease from the tank.

I have seen some comments about using bleach, but other comments that it might not kill crypto. If time is a sure fire killer for the disease I can wait to get another gecko.

[I am willing to just throw things out if need be, but would rather reuse].

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
The only 100% sure way to kill cryptosporidium on surfaces is 10% ammonia, which is household ammonia straight out of the bottle. Be sure to have plenty of ventilation.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
Bleach won't do anything. Ammonia is the only sure fire way to kill crypto. But how are you so sure it was crypto. Could have been a gereralized infection or any # of other contributing factors

ValH

Bleach won't do anything. Ammonia is the only sure fire way to kill crypto. But how are you so sure it was crypto. Could have been a gereralized infection or any # of other contributing factors

My vet suspected that was the problem. The gecko lost all her weight and her desire to eat, had oddly smelling poo, had a darkening spot on her belly, and was bought at a pet store chain that I know has sold geckos with crypto in the past.

So, there is a possibility it was not crypto, but I would rather be cautious.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I agree with Robin. If you suspect it was crypto, get rid of the stuff and start over. They symptoms you described are the same symptoms of a bacterial infections, coccicia, and amoebae infections, so without a confirmed diagnosis of crypto you will never know. Don't take any chances.

ValH

In that case I will move over to a spare tank I have and toss the decorations. I figure if I clean the tank itself with ammonia in it just sits in my garage for a few years it should be fine if I want another gecko in the future.

Adinar

I agree with Robin. I dealt with crypto before in the past and hopefully won't have to again. I would rather trash the tank and other items than pay the vet bills for 4 animals like we did. It's a small price to pay imo plus it will give you a piece of mind. You will at least be sure that there will be no cross contamination from reused decorations/tank.

ValH

Thank you all. I have gotten rid of the tank and everything. If nothing else the cost of basically replacing everything is comparable to the $100 vet visit bill I would have if there was a problem with my new gecko as a result.

Switching to a new tank and new decorations is well worth not having to add to the risk of having another gecko fall ill.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Im just curious...if the tank is glass, how would it be able to harbor any disease? Glass is not porous? I would have cleaned it multiple times with bleach, then ammonia, and then cleaned it over again. I wouldnt have thrown out my tank. I would however dispose of all decor.

ValH

Im just curious...if the tank is glass, how would it be able to harbor any disease? Glass is not porous? I would have cleaned it multiple times with bleach, then ammonia, and then cleaned it over again. I wouldnt have thrown out my tank. I would however dispose of all decor.

The tank is in my garage now (I have not bothered to sanitize it yet, but will do so eventually). I had a spare tank from a previous animal and decided to use that for now. I would not expect the tank to be a problem as it is glass, my only concern are the edges to the tank where there is the material that holds the two pieces together.

Visit our friends