Computer install problem, Help!

M

misanthorpe

I just purchased an educational PC program on CD and can't get it installed.
I have Windows XP and I know that 80% of the hard drive is available. My system meets or exceeds the requirements.

I keep getting the message "there is not enough free space on this disk".

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try or do to get this thing installed?

The program is Math and Science Excelerator Grades 7-12 by Educator's Choice. Copyright 2002

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
Are you possitive you have 80% of your HD available? Open My Computer and right click on your drive and go to properties. Look at the "Free Space" and make sure there's enough for that program to install.

If you do have plenty of space...maybe it's a fluke. If all else fails I'd give the computer a restart and try again.

M

misanthorpe

o0 Ryan 0o said:
Are you possitive you have 80% of your HD available? Open My Computer and right click on your drive and go to properties. Look at the "Free Space" and make sure there's enough for that program to install.

If you do have plenty of space...maybe it's a fluke. If all else fails I'd give the computer a restart and try again.

I have 144Gb of available space.
It shows as a file under My Computer, but it has not installed. It will not autorun or open.

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
When you go to install it, make sure its trying to actually install to your harddrive and not a diff drive, such as the disk drives. Most programs will automatically detect your harddrive letter, some dont, if your hard drive is the C: drive, make sure thats where its going.

M

misanthorpe

Thank You to everyone who responded

FYI
I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested I try the following

Solution:

Try the following before you install the program.

Right-click on the My Computer icon.
Choose Properties. The System Properties window opens.
Click the Advanced tab.
Find the Performance group box.
Click the Settings button. The Performance Options window opens.
Click the Advanced tab.
The amount of Virtual Memory you are using is displayed near the bottom of the window.
Click the Change button. The Virtual Memory window opens, which lists each drive on the computer and how much Virtual Memory you have on each drive.
Type the number 4000 in the Custom values field (both in Initial and Maximum).
Click Set.
Click OK.
Close the windows.

It worked very well.
If anyone sees anything in these settings that might cause me problems down the road, PLEASE clue me in. If and until, so far so good.

Visit our friends