Contradictory Opinions on Substrate

JharrisON14

Hi all,
I'm new to the forums as well as leopard geckos in general. I got my first one today! I did a bit of research before buying him and learned that fine substrate such as sand is bad for leopard geckos and could end up killing them. I went to my local reptile store and the owner insisted on using crushed walnut shell substrate. I told him that I had read all over the internet that such a fine substrate is damaging to the leopard geckos, but he told me that leos can digest the walnut shells much easier than sand and should be totally safe. I took his word for it in the moment, but I want to be sure that it is safe or not. Is he telling the truth? Or should I use something like tile, carpet, turf, etc.?

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
PLEASE don't use walnut shells. You won't find one person on this forum who endorses walnut shells. Go back to that store and tell the owner that he should look into a new business that he actually knows something about.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
anything for a buck... crushed walnut isn't safe for any animal for substrate. in my opinion, tile, butcher's paper, or paper towels are the best substrate for leos. some people do use washed play sand, but usually that's for adult geckos.

C C Gecko

I started off with Reptile carpet. But after my 3rd gecko, cleaning that carpet was BS lol. Paper towel is what I use in all my tanks and tubs.

LeoMerlin

Yep I was using reptile carpet, but I'm afraid of Merlin getting stuck as he's gotten stuck a couple of times when feeding him the crickets. So I switched back to paper towels. That and I heard that it's known for getting bacteria, even if you clean it regularly like I was. I am gonna try to get tiles for him though. I've heard it's easier to conduct heat and easier to clean, and cheap. Plus some stores will cut it down to size for you.

JharrisON14

I'm using paper towel for now until I can cut the tile to fit. I have one more question that is a bit off topic. I'm already dusting crickets I feed to my juvie, but do I also need to put a dish of calcium in the tank? If so, which kind specifically? Anything without D3?

Repkyle

Ye dude, leave some int the tank. that way he/she can help them selvs when they feel the need for some :D
Welcome btw

LeoMerlin

I think I heard that the calcium dish needs to have PURE calcium in it, I got my bag at the Reptile show when we picked Merlin up. I just don't know where else to get it once it runs low.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most reptile supply places sell calcium without D3. I also got some human grade powdered calcium online from a health store at a good price. Just look for it on google.

Aliza

Visit our friends