Cornsake not growing?

equinelove93

Hey everyone. So over a month ago i had purchased my first cornsnake. Im new to cornsnakes but not new to reptilea or snakea as i have a ball python and a collection of geckos.

I purchasee the consnake from a breeder. He is a male. Hatched april 28th this year. He is approximately 15 inches long and weighs 8 grams.

He is in a 5 gallon plastic tub. Lots of small hides, water dish, UTH set to 85. On the cool side its about 75. He is on newspaper at the moment. He just had finished his second shed yesterday and it came of nice and in one piece.

Im not sure what the average growth rate for a cornsnake is. He weighed 7 grams when i had purchased him. I weighed him yesterday and he was 8 grams. He eats one thawed pinkie twice a week. Im noticing the pinkies dont leave as much as a buldge as they used too but i was looking at some guidelines and he doesn't meet the weight requirements for a fuzzy or to eat two pinkies i read he should be aroun 16 grams which would be double his weight.

So any help would be greatly appreciate or and thoughts or information. Sorry for such a newbie question lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

jo57

Are you feeding live or frozen. I owned snakes for 30 years and have never seen a "feeding by weight" chart. I see no reason why you couldn't feed him more than one pinkie at a time. Just wait for the first one to go down, give him a couple of minutes and give him another. I have done this with multiple types of snakes and never had an issue. If you are feeding frozen, you can give him a fuzzy or even a hopper to see if he can get it down without worrying about if fighting back. If they can't get it down, they'll back off, and your out a dollar.

Visit our friends