Crested Gecko Egg..

Repylicious

Hey!

Hope you can help me.

My egg which nearly 5 month old now has turned blueish & sweating plus turned soft as it was squeezable when held it.

Candled the egg & can see some veins with the Gecko but can't see any movement.

There now slight lil odour if put the egg to my nose.

Does it mean the Gecko due to hatch?

Hypancistrus

Mason Dixon Reptiles
Hey!

Hope you can help me.

My egg which nearly 5 month old now has turned blueish & sweating plus turned soft as it was squeezable when held it.

Candled the egg & can see some veins with the Gecko but can't see any movement.

There now slight lil odour if put the egg to my nose.

Does it mean the Gecko due to hatch?

A crested gecko egg should not take 5 months to hatch. At average room temps they take about 60 days. Some may go as long as 70 if temps are cooler in your home. I would say that this egg is no longer any good. It is possible that the baby developed part way and then died in egg, or that it developed fully and lacked the strength to get out. Sometimes when eggs are incubated, because we incubate in sterile surroundings and natural bacteria and fungus don't act on the shells, the shell is still very thick and the baby cannot get through it. Some breeders choose to cut the egg with a razor to help. Some think that if the gecko isn't able to get out on its own, it isn't strong enough to survive. I have cut before and the baby survived and did very well.

At 5 months, though, with oozing and a bad smell, that baby is probably dead in egg. You can cut it to find out, or freeze it and dispose of it.

yoshi'smom

OUROBOROS EXOTICS
Crested gecko eggs can take anywhere from 60 to 120 days to hatch. If incubated on the cool side (low 70's) they will take longer and close to 120 days. If incubated at warmer temperatures (high 70's) they will hatch out quicker.
It's recommended to incubate at cooler temperatures as it gives the baby more time to absorb the yolk, thus hatching out larger and more developed.

Visit our friends