Crested gecko lighting/heating

Brittany

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, I just got my new crested gecko! I have a few questions! The person i adopted him from said I dont need any lighting/heating in his cage..I have bearded dragons and i know they have to have their lights/heat on everyday. It seems kind of strange that geckos dont need any of this. It gets pretty cold in my house during the day, probably around 50-60 degrees. I think he might be cold. I dont know what to do, and i dont want to make him sick. Any ideas of what i should do? Thanks!!

spook.jpg

Gopherhockey03

Well they need their temps around 75 to 78... But you do need to give 12 hours of light so get the temps up to or around 78 nothing over 80 and the little guy should be fine! They do need humidity!!! What type of enclosure do you have? Glass or screen?

1. Temps Mid 70's no hotter than 80. Can cool down to low 70's a regular 60 watt incandescent light bulb should do the trick. And a night bulb you could use at night. Just monitor the temps.
2. 12 hours of Daylight
3. Over 50% humidity

We have a lot of crestie keepers on here so they should be chiming in soon.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Congrats on your new gecko! During the day I like to keep mine between 70-80, but they can live in anything over 65. At night temperatures can get down to 50, but I wouldn't go any lower. Personally I would turn up the thermostat (lol, I would be freezing at those temps but I'm guessing you don't have that option). Like Tanner said, I would start with a normal incandescent light bulb and see how that works. If you need more light, any petstore arond you should have heat bulbs. The lowest I've seen is 50W, and that should work fine. Make absolutely sure the temperature doesn't get above 85 (I like to stay below 80 just in case), because high temps can results in organ failure and death. Good luck!

Taiga

3 Year Member
Spectacular colors, loving the cream and phantom pinning! <3

No, crested geckos do not need any EXTRA heat or lighting. They can stand to 40 (I prefer not to let it go below 60) and not higher than 82, anything more will KILL them. Yes, kill, heat stroke/heart attacks/ seizes. If it is hot, I spray the tank with very cool water. :)

cresties are easy to maintain around room temp. no lower than 65 and no higher around 75ish thats what i say, you wont regrert having them they are good and easy to have and very loving geckos and i love mine so yea good luck and congrads.

Visit our friends