Custom plexiglass aquarium top

wakeskate420

I was thinking of making a new top for my 75g tank since I want to have it hinged and they are very expensive to buy. I was thinking of buying a plexiglass sheet and having it cut to size (roughly 46x16) and using that. I planned on it having it open from front to back by having the 46x16 cut to a 46x13 and a 46x3 and I was wondering how many ventilation holes I should drill and what size diameter. I am going to drill a 3/4 hole on the front to stick my finger in to open it with also.

little98dime

First, you should know that the plexiglass will warp over time if not reinforced. that said, make the ventilation holes no bigger than 1/2" and space them every 2-3" in a grid. Personally I would do 1/4" holes every 1.5" in a grid.

wakeskate420

I have my leos in it, and as for it warping, will it still ork evn though its the acrylic stuff thats suppose to be way.stronger than glass? (Not that im doubting you,Idk if there are different types or not) and if so what would you suggest to reinforce it? The stuff i was gonna get is called optix from lowes or home depot
Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Not that you can't do plexiglass, but IMO I would just make or have a screen made to cover the tank. Cheaper and less work. The only reason I would put a plexiglass lid on a glass tank would be for a tropical critter like a rhac, so the lid would help hold in the humidity.

But if you like the look, you sure can do it.

wakeskate420

Yeah the only reason i wanted to was because i have my tank only about a foot off the ground on a coffee table.in my room and.it.would be nice to see completely through the.top, and i was also hoping it would help keep the heat up a little more since its.so.low to the floor.and.its. cold in my room ( i had.the tank on my dresser and it was.warmer so i know my uth is good its an ultratherm) so thats.why i was looking.to the acrylic plexiglass and i made a wooden top with screen on it now and it is half blocked offcsnd its still a little chilly (89-92) and i like.mine to be around 95-98, i just dont wanna suffocate my leos snd not give them enough vent
Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

Kaianuanu

first make sure you cut out holes for your lights and put screen for the dome to rest on. and make sure the dome has good ventilation holes. Also, when you fasten the hinges to the acrylic, i recommend you use an epoxy because it will actually hold better than screws when done right; and, you run a high risk of cracking your plexiglass if you screw it in, even if you pre-drill it. and if you're worried about ventilation, just rig up a small slower computer fan blowing into the tank with no other vents in the glass, then the air will escape from the vents in your domes.

Last edited:

wakeskate420

I've been thinking and I might just use a good sheet of plywood or frame it up and then cut sections and use the screen and then if I need to bump up the temps I can put the plexiglass on top of the screen, this way I can have a bit of adjustment plus it'll be a lot easier to work with the wood especially when dealing with the hinges, thanks for your help guys!

Visit our friends