Disgusted

Angel

I have been looking for a new gecko or 2 {nice ones} and since we dont have breeders up here I keep my eye out at the small pet shops around here so we ended up going to 2 pet stores today to see what they had. {these werent the big chain stores usually the smaller stores in my area have nicer leos} However the 1st store had what was marked as tangs they were about a year old and verrrrry pale yellow, the female had her eyes shut or so i thought I tapped on the glass to discover they were half open and crusty and sore looking. I checked out there enclosure they were on sand which I dont personally like but whatev we wont go there BUT there was a dead cricket with something moving all over it tiny red ants.... I have never seen these in tanks with leos does anyone know why or does anyone have these in the tanks? thinking they bite and possibly why she had infected eyes. anyways I currently have a rescue and really trying to find quality geckos now for breeding so I left them I felt horrible. And on to the next store.
I went in and seen one in a tank wasnt too bad looking and they let me pick him up however I want females so had in my mind Im not taking him home , he was nothing impressive a carrot tail kinda bland maybe needed some vitamins and good food, then I went and moved a hide and was in shock 5 other leos in the same tank ranging from the tiniest gecko i have ever seen about an inch max with a lil stub tail, to the 5inch ones I held. i sexed a female and a male for the owner who told the female was male and the male was female lol , however the others were too small/young to sex. I almost took the female tang he had until he said he wanted $129 for her hahahaha like I said she was nothing special to begin with. I really wish we had more breeders up here , hopefully thats a good thing though if we end up doing well and get some nice stock maybe we can help others like us who are having trouble finding healthy, pretty geckos.

M

mushraeddur

That is so sad. I hope you can provide the folks out there some quality leos. It's a shame so many places mistreat their animals like that.

StopperExotics

That really is too bad Sandi, I'm disgusted to hear that that's what you found. However, you should look at shipping a few to you, I know there are a few good breeders in Alberta that could help you out. I stay completely away from Pet Stores, for one, I refuse to support them (I realize you can't help it, but I can) and it breaks my heart, every, single, time.

Angel

i wanted to take the baby with me so bad lol he was soooo small and he was the calmest of the bunch he clung to my pinky and wouldnt let go lol i stuck my hand with him on it in the tank to put him down and he wouldnt go we had to push him off , sad thing this store was brand new and had a wall of vivs all set up and there was like 5 empty that they could put him in , they said they keep them together its easier to show people all at once rather than have to open 10 tanks, then they assured me they all eat and none bully lmao as if I believe that. the baby was the only one not in the hide he was in a small bush type plant in a corner, and he had no tail hmmmm ... but he isnt bullied. makes me so mad cause people look to who sells them to tell them how to care for them so they will think this is ok. I have an add on craigslist and today alone have had 3 people want me to take in poor sick geckos, there is 1 that looks good I will go see her tomorrow. they said she is murphy patternless.

StopperExotics

Why don't you order online? Wonderful breeders right here on this board that ship.
Lisa, she lives in Surrey BC, and for most of us Canadians, it's quite hard, and quite expensive to import animals from the United States.

As for the little guy, Sandi, he would have broke my heart! Glad to hear you got some CL people involved and can look at their animals. For safe delivery and good prices, I would suggest looking at The Urban Gecko; they're amazing to deal with.

Angel

I havent found any breeders in canada yet if you could please pm me the breeders names or websites I would love you forever =) I looked at some us breeders but the ones that ship wanted like $200 shipping fee a little too much right now. im not wanting to buy a $500 gecko right now thinking more $100-$200, if anyone knows or is selling a gecko and can ship to canada please pm me. wish list is mack / snows , but will consider anything nice.

F

fletchneff

Maybe the tiny red ants are mites? I would stay way clear from getting one from there

Angel

N omites they were tiny red ants could see them well lol was weird but yeah I agree stay away from those ones, Actually my boyfriend and I just looked at urban gecko and loooove a few on there so we are holding off on any local gecko and buying one from there getting my snow iv wanted for so long. thanks for the site natashya.

Angel

lol well if they want to sell me one for $200-$300 i would have to say yes lol but we did look at them they are interesting if it wasnt for the $3000 price tag lol , That will have to wait for next years secret santa LMAO.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
I just stay away from pet stores now. No offense to anyone that has had good experiences with pet stores. But all of the ones that I have visited in my area have been a huge disappointment. I was willing to change my mind when I got two beautiful tangs from P****. The tang filled out and colored wonderfully. I went back to check them out again shortly after, and they have 27 <---yea, not kidding leos all together in the same tiny little 2Gallon tank! TWO GALLONS. Are you kidding me??????
After that, I refuse to go back and support them. No matter how pretty/cute/ etc.. I refuse to donate my funding towards that. Sorry.

The only thing I go into for now at Petstores is if I absolutely need pet supplies that cant wait to be ordered online... Oh well, their loss.

Anyways, very glad that you found the UG! The are amazing...

OMG. I just got how they came up with the TUG name, by typing UG ^. I amaze myself >.<

F

fletchneff

I need your secret santa get rid of mine with a gift card to somewhere.

#19wingnut

Hi Sandi, you should check out bcreptileclub.com, I purchased mine from a breeder that frequents that website. I know for a fact that there are at least two breeders in the LML area that could help you out, though I'm not sure what particular morphs they have to offer. The person I got mine from will let you come to her house and pick whichever one(s) you want. Plus you'd save a ton of money on shipping, I'd bet that even shipping from Eastern Canada would be costly. Anyway, there is a "wanted" section on bcreptileclub.com, so maybe just try posting exactly what type of morph you're looking for and see if anyone replies, before you go looking further abroad.

Visit our friends