DIY using plastic drawers?

geckoTN

First off, I do not own a leopard gecko (Yet). I am in the researching process and was wondering if I could build a decent setup out of a 3 drawer sterilight container as seen here.

I am planning on using the Rheostat with a U.T.H. My concern is that the heat may be too much for the plastic? I have seen a lot of people use what seems like off the shelf storage containers for their geckos with no problem.

Has anyone tried this before? If so, any hints, tips, or suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
-geckoTN

indyana

Most plastic rack setups use low-wattage heat tape regulated with a thermostat to keep the plastic bins at the right temperature. UTHs are pretty powerful, so there can be an issue with melting plastic if a rheostat or thermostat fails (as with any setup).

The only problem I see with trying to use the drawer setup is being able to pull the drawers in and out without damaging the heating element or wires. If you look up rack designs, you'll see most are made so that the heating element is stuck to the bottom of a shelf so that it does not move when the plastic bins are pulled out. The safest ones put the heat tape in a shallow groove to avoid having the plastic rub over it every time the bins are pulled in and out.

geckoTN

That is a really good point. Makes me think a shelf with a routed out grooves to lay the wire in may be a better solution. Might have to do some experimenting to see if I can get the heat distribution correct and not burn my house down in the process.

Music

while she make a pretty good point i also want to say that, a rheostat is not THAT accurate? try a thermostat! and heat tape is pretty much the same thing while i like heat mat.

plastic right>? u can read anywhere that had said like it will melt at blah blah blah... just to see and IF it is under 10 gallon, i would not use it!

it's best for a leo in a 20...BIGGER the better!

i am trying out this keeping-out-of-cage method!

so basically just find a corner in ur house and use a table, and having some thing to block it so it would not climb out or STH like that.

or just find a plastic tub and build a bio active!

hope this helps!

geckoTN

Out of the cage sounds fun but I suspect the wife would not be thrilled with that.

Do you have a suggestion on brand for the heat tape and thermostat?

Visit our friends