Do I HAVE to feed crickets?

GeckoDan.

It's becoming a real hassle to keep crickets now. I live in Florida, so the sun either melts the glue in their cage or a storm floods everything. I cannot get around it, and I certainly can't keep them inside. And of course, I can't keep Dubias as they're illegal in FL. My question is, can he have a complete worm diet? Can I just feed mealworms, Phoenix worms, and super worms? Or are crickets important for some reason? Thanks!

Kmay571

I feed mine mealworms only and will move to super worms when they get large enough. They just didn't care to go after the crickets, so I don't see why they can't have a worm-only diet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indyana

Some breeders do feed mealworms only. A worm-only diet is okay as long as you properly gutload your feeders and use supplements.

If you want to explore other options too, I know there are Florida-legal roach species. Discoid roaches are very similar to dubia and are legal in Florida from what I know.

sunnyleos

What would you recommend feeding to gutload superworms? Would fluker's orange cubes be ok? I've been using it for my crickets. My leo does not seem to be interested in crickets at all but he really enjoys superworms and mealworms.

KaitouCat

The Household Geckos
The only problem with switching to worms is the possibility that your geckos may not find them as enticing if they've been fed crickets up until now. I have a few geckos that were ok with mealworms from a dish but once they got crickets or roaches they pretty much had no interest in the mealworms. Not saying it will happen but it could. Some of my geckos don't even like roaches anymore and will only really go for crickets unless I feed roaches and worms to them with tongs. [Even then a few are highly stubborn and won't take it unless it's a crunchy wiggly cricket]

sunnyleos

Thanks for the info!

As far as losing interest in the worms, I've found the exact opposite! My leo was eating crickets up until I introduced him to mealworms, after that he completely lost interest in crickets and won't eat anything but mealworms now. I've been sticking to a pretty strict gutloading and dusting schedule to make sure he is getting good nutrition. He seems to be doing really well on them! He has put on a little bit of weight (he was really thin when I got him) and seems much happier and active than before. :)

Manttle Geminy

I feed mine mealworms mainly, but I would feed them cockroach once a week, crickets are hard to keep, they jump and could be everywhere in your house, they are loud and run fast that my geckos can not catch.

Visit our friends