Does All the Gecko Talk Drive Your Friends Nuts?

JoulesBurn

I've been researching geckos for months and it's driving the people closest to me insane. My GF thinks I need an intervention with how much I look through gecko pics and thinks I'm just trying to buy them all when I'm just trying to get very familiar with the different morphs and how they look as hatchlings.

She's helping me with the geckos and loves them, too, but she's just not into the finer details. Her eyes glaze over as soon as I say 'homozygous' much less anything more complicated. I just ordered Ray's book The Leopard Gecko Advisor' so I doubt it's going to get better for her anytime soon. Just wondering how many other people have driven friends and loved ones nutty? Especially with the science.

I love biology and it's sad not getting to just ramble about it!

stager

I don't talk about reptiles much except here and at shows. But one of the best parts of vending a show is talking reptiles and meeting new reptile enthusiasts. It's also why I spend so much time hear.

Last edited:

Neon Aurora

I talk to my boyfriend about leopard geckos and animals all the time. He doesn't mind. =P Then, I do listen to him about his electricity and batteries and what-not, so we are generally supportive of each other's interests.

My friends on the other hand.. I find it too difficult to talk about them with my friends who are not really biology/animal oriented. It just feels sort of pointless, and I particularly don't like explaining something to someone who's eyes glaze over and it's clear they're not really trying to understand it. I'd rather save the hobby-oriented talk for the forums or other reptile enthusiasts.

You're right though, talking about biology and leopard geckos and other animals is so much fun! I could go on forever.

JoulesBurn

It's a shame more people aren't into that aspect. I'd really like to ramble on it at Repticon next month.

tkurt

I'm contact lyrics watching reptile videos or talking about it. My girlfriend is interested so she dosnt mind and she owns a few reptiles herself ( well.... let's be honest I do all the feedings and cleanings lol) but I actually found that my good friends who know I have a ton of reptiles generally seem interested in learning about all my "crazy" animals. Have even gotten a bunch of people to hold a snake for the first time, and once they Conquer the fear of the first time, they are always asking me if they can come hold a snake or lizard, or ask me how my animals are doing.

All in all if someone is bothered that's their problem lol

chipyluna

Its a new thing for me so i su[p[ose i have gone on overdrive about it all, to be fair no one at my work ever understands anything i am chatting about half the time as it always seems to be a tad random and complex, and the same with Leopard Geckos too, mymate at works said Quote 'Is this all we are going to be hearing about now?' So i have dulled it done a notch

Ruvik

I understand that chip. My co-workers make Fun of me every time i talk of my geckos, but they seem to have accepted the fact that I will talk about them. I even have some that will come and ask me how my geckos are doing. XD They make fun of me but they adore my derpy self. Just don't let people bring you down. They wont understand til they find a passion for something like you have.

chipyluna

Do you know its funny as i got a text from said person that said that saying 'Morning hows the Gecko?' They just know im a atd random and its just something else to add to the long string of randomness lol. They also dont seem to understand that i cant bring it into work so they can have a look at her, does make me laugh though

flyingmouse77

I came here because I didn't have anyone except my boyfriend to talk to about my gecko. We live together, so we talk every day, but I wanted to hang out with people who love geckos as much as I do. I haven't had a whole lot of luck in conversing with people so far though. :( I'm also a huge biology fan, and I have no one I can discuss that with! :(

Ruvik

I came here because I didn't have anyone except my boyfriend to talk to about my gecko. We live together, so we talk every day, but I wanted to hang out with people who love geckos as much as I do. I haven't had a whole lot of luck in conversing with people so far though. :( I'm also a huge biology fan, and I have no one I can discuss that with! :(

Ah well if you are ever willing to I'd gladly skype with your or something to talk about them. And no worries if you are a female and you think I'm a creeper. I'm also female. XD

Visit our friends