Does temp affect digestion?!

Obwahine

My poor leo is still so skinny. I see him eat nearly every day and he poops regularly too. I brought this up to my local pet store and the guy suggested I bring the cool side temp up because leos need heat in order to properly absorb nutrients and store fat. Is this true?

The setup:
20 gal long
UTH on warm side
Small UTH under his favorite hide on the cool side (put in after what the pet store man said
Low watt red light over middle to bring overall temp up a tad
Warm side temp: 97-100
Cool side: A little under 80

Can someone suggest a new configuration that might induce proper digestion.
OR
What else might be wrong? Is it time for a vet visit?

I just want young Oliver to be healthy and happy.
Thanks for reading :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Temps do affect digestion but those temps seem fine to me too (if anything maybe a little warmer than I'd be comfortable with. I back mine down at 98). Where do you most often find your leo resting? On the cool or hot side (previously to adding the little uth under his cool hide)?

The only thing that really comes to mind for me since temps are good and he's eating regularly is a parasite infestation. That is about the only thing that affects nutrient absorbtion. You eat and eat and eat but don't gain weight, it's usually a parasite as they usually live in the intestine where nutrients are absorbed into the body (well in dogs anyway, I presume it's similar to leos tho). I'd be taking a fecal to the vet. Can you post a recent pic of him so we can see your definition of " so skinny". Also about how old is your leo and how long have you had him? If you got him from a pet shop that has communal housing for their leos it is a very good chance it is a parasite.

Obwahine

Yes, I'll post a picture when I get home tonight. If it is a parasite, what is done to treat it? Also, does anyone know of a place that sells leo slurry? I would like to try this diet but have issues with grinding up meallies in my blender.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I don't know that they actually sell slurry maybe some one else can answer that for ya. Derpending on the type of parasite it is, most are usually treated with a 3 day course of panacure (fenbendiazole) then repeated in 15 days for another 3 day course.

Last edited:

fl_orchidslave

Slurry is for geckos that are NOT eating and is not available commercially. Heat is needed only on one side of the tank, they need the cool side also to thermoregulate. What are you measuring temps with? If its' eating and pooping but not gaining weight, or is losing body/tail mass, a vet visit is in order, or at least a fecal test with a fresh poop sample. You need to get the correct parasite diagnosis from a qualified herp vet in order to follow the proper course of treatment.

Obwahine

ok, here are the pictures as promised. Poor little guy. Sorry the first one is a bit blurry.

CIMG3001.jpg

CIMG3000.jpg

Obwahine

Slurry is for geckos that are NOT eating and is not available commercially. Heat is needed only on one side of the tank, they need the cool side also to thermoregulate. What are you measuring temps with? If its' eating and pooping but not gaining weight, or is losing body/tail mass, a vet visit is in order, or at least a fecal test with a fresh poop sample. You need to get the correct parasite diagnosis from a qualified herp vet in order to follow the proper course of treatment.

I use a thermometer that is wedged between two of the tiles that make up the warm side of his tank. I agree, I think a fecal sample is in order.

LZRDGRL

Oh dear, poor little one! I bought a similar one from a pet store once. I took a fresh stool sample to the vet, and it had parasites. It's good that it is your only gecko (otherwise, he needs to be in quarantine). Mine ended up dying albeit it got two rounds of medicine. I made the experience when a gecko had a thin tail and a long head like this, it is parasite infected and dies. Just personal experience! So I'm not taking in rescues like this any more; too risky, even if in a separate room.

Not to discourage you. To save money, I wouldn't take the gecko personally for an exam immediately; instead, take a fresh stool sample to the vet as soon as possible (about $16-23). If it's pinworms, you'll get one Panacur treatment (and one follow-up in 2 weeks); if it's protozoae, you'll get Flagyl daily for a week. The exact dosage is very important, because it's hard on their liver, so let the vet give you syringes filled with it to take home. Then, you don't need to go there every time, but can do it yourself. As long as the vet tells you how much to give when, you'll save money and time/way when you apply it yourself. It's not very easy, but it's doable. Put a little drop on its nose, and when the little tongue comes out to lick it up, give the rest carefully. He'll drink it from the syringe.

If you have a nice vet, you'll even get to look in the microscope to see if there are parasites in the fecal smear. I even got a print-out of a photo!
The first time, I had the vet show me how to give the medicine before I attempted it myself. But be aware that a vet exam (when bringing the gecko) can cost between $50-125 per visit. There are youtube videos about "force-feeding," so you might be able to learn it from there. Just make sure you get the right diagnosis, the right meds, and the right dosage.

Good luck!!!

Chrissy

fl_orchidslave

Wow very thin :( and a pencil tail :( Definitely need a parasite test asap, and it may have a secondary infestation that is not curable :( Be sure and wash + sanitize your hands whenever you touch anything in the tank, don't share any of his stuff with anything else to avoid any cross-contamination. Poor baby :(

Obwahine

Thanks for all the advice. I'm currently looking up vets in the area to see which will accept a fecal sample! Now I'm super concerned! Poor guy. I feel like i've been neglectful by just hoping he would get better and that it was a heat issue. Denial?! I really hope we get this figured out.

roger

Thanks for all the advice. I'm currently looking up vets in the area to see which will accept a fecal sample! Now I'm super concerned! Poor guy. I feel like i've been neglectful by just hoping he would get better and that it was a heat issue. Denial?! I really hope we get this figured out.

There is no way you can diagnose this yourself.She needs a vet

Visit our friends