does your leo try to JUMP from high places??

JasperStreet

I know nothing
hey all,

my gecko, Yuuki, tries to jump to the ground sometimes when I pick her up, even if the ground is several feet away!

does your gecko try to jump from dangerous heights? do they have poor vision? or something?

it scares me a little when she suddenly lunges for the edge; i don't want to grab her-- especially her tail-- but i also don't want her to fall on the floor!

i hope she grows out of this daredevil phase! :eek:

ReptarNDukeNukem

Gecko Newbie
How old is she?Is she small?How long ago did you get her?
My two baby geckos do the same thing because they are about 1 month old and I only touch them when they are NEEDED to move.If they are babies and you handle them a lot it will be harder to control in the future because they will think you are a predator.And if you need to hold them to move them never go straight forward try to grab them try to go from behind.
To gain trust just leave her alone for a week just do daily routines like water and putting mealies without bothering them so then they learn you are not a threat.Then after a while just put your hand in their for a while because they will be used to you they will start searching out and maybe climb out.That means they have gained a little trust from you.But if they do go on your hand just lift them up off the ground and do the hand treadmill still in the enclosure so if she jumps it will not be as far and you will not need to worry of running away.
Sorry for the run on sentences.

VampyricAngelX

Mine generally aren't very jumpy now but when he was younger one of my males leaped out of my hands onto the floor. He was ok but it sure scared me for a sec XD Though that same male does jump at the side of his tank when he's trying to get out...

ang3l3s

i had 1 that thought it was a monkey, kinda miss her though but don't miss the heart attacks!!

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
hmm, not many of mine try to do this. There are just a couple, so when I hold them, I hold them over the tank and kinda low to the ground, just in case. Or I make sure that I have a firm grip, but sometimes that just seems to add to them wanting to jump..

JasperStreet

I know nothing
thanks for all the replies! it seems that a lot of geckos are like that. i'm not in a hurry to find out how fast they can move on hardwood floors, so i will hold her over her tank from now on.

SassyAbi

Mine sometimes thinks he's a superhero when hes near the ground. But whens hes far up hes a lil chicken!

Visit our friends