dubia colony questions

V

ViciousAlice

I have 1000 nymphs in a 10g tank and there is AMPLE room. The Dubias want to be as close to each other as possible. They like it dark, hot and cramped.

Actually if it is too cramped the male dubia will chew on each others wings, and you will have a higher mortality rate...

jermh1

10 gal I would do no more than 250 Females and 50 Males that leaves about a month worth of room for nymphs then they have to get pulled out. for growing out, you can do 2000-4000 in a 10gal for 2 months or so, after removal from adults. I started with 400 small nymphs, last Oct now I have around 1200 females 20k+ nymphs. I use retriever brand High Protein dog food (from tractor supply), which I grind up in an old hand crank meat grinder. for fresh food I use melon and pumpkin.
I would not spray unless you start finding dead ones half molted, as you could set off a grain mite population explosion.

jermh1

I find some of the males do that, they just dont seem to be that smart. I would not be worried about a few adults a month to kick. My biggest colony of 750+ females lost around 20-30 in the past 2 months. I am not concerned as they produced thousands so they will be replaced. And I started last Dec so we are past the year mark with 400 of them.
DSC06782.jpg

DSC06783.jpg

DSC06784.jpg

I just set up two more big colonies so I figured Id throw in some pics.. I would guess ive got around 1200 adult females with thousands more on the way and a solid 10k+ for feeding

Last edited:

RoninSTi

Actually if it is too cramped the male dubia will chew on each others wings, and you will have a higher mortality rate...

Hmm, I haven't experienced this yet, but I will have to keep an eye out for it. The breeder I purchased mine from told me they like to be on top of each other, but I suppose everything has it's space limit.

Thanks!

TheRed

I recently had some roaches shipped to me and the males wings were chewed. That's the only time I've seen it happen.

Visit our friends