Egg Bound

G

GeckoAZ

I took my girl to the local vet...who luckily has been raising geckos for 20 some years. He spent just shy of an hour with me about geckos and the issue at hand. I took Cleo into the vet becuase she has been loosing weight and beyond normal laying egg loss. Also she had a bit of a prolapse starting. I explained to him how she laid one infertile egg and then almost 8 weeks later laid another egg....unususal at best. The bad news is that he examined her and noticed the prolapse and also noted that she still had an egg that she wasn't laying, oddly placed. I asked if he could remove the contents of the egg with a needle so she would just pass the egg, but he said that based on the unusual location of the egg that was a bit risky. Oddly enough he suggested that there were a couple of options 1) anesthitize her so that she fully relaxed and then try to work it out, 2) surgery which is really expensive, 3) oxytocin to see if that might work (not too hopeful since it needs to be administered close to the time the egg was due to be laid - not this late). I am at a bit of a loss since she is the first gecko I have had....we are waiting it out and keeping an eye on the prolapse.....and the sugar water treatment for the prolapse. I have spoken with a couple of breeders and they have had only rare experiences with the egg binding.

G

GeckoAZ

Follow-up

Ok, thanks to everyone running to the rescue to provide ideas. I have changed her substrate in the hide and gave her a warm soak. Will do so tomorrow and keep her quiet. Hoping for the best.

Visit our friends