Fancy new custom tank

Im-Perfection-xo

Wayward Victorian Girl
That's looking really really cool. I did a bit of DIY for my gecko, but it's not NEARLY as nice as this. Used an old locker shelf from the dollar store, some popsicle sticks, and a needle point mat. It's quite the eye sore, but it works!

I can't wait to see your finished tank set up.

Anejodave

Thanks. It's not really that hard to do. All you need to do is some basic planning, lay out your foam before gluing it together and then start building up the grout a little at a time. The challenge will come in the painting phase.

We've decided to use crushed sandstone from a local supplier and mix it in with our paint. Either that or we're going to mix it in with the Modge Podge. Either way the sand will be well set and unable to work it's way loose. Sure it'll be a bit harder to clean but the critter deserves the best. Plus we're looking at the possibility of making this a part time business.

Im-Perfection-xo

Wayward Victorian Girl
That would be a cool thing to do together. My dad's helped me to put my tank together, but only because I bugged him, and he didn't want me using his power tools. Haha. I think he enjoyed helping though. He occasionally sticks his head in to check out the tank and the gecko. Even though he really didn't want me to have her in the first place. :p

Anejodave

After taking a hiatus on construction for a while we're about to get started up again. The next step is to mix some large granual sand with some clear acrylic paint and finish up this large piece. Once it's painted it's getting sealed with modge podge and then work will get started on the waterfall side.

Chipkali

Just a heads up in case you haven't thought of this yet, mod podge will remoisten when it gets wet. It will become slightly sticky again and can come off if rubbed or scratched by you or your gecko. (It's a lot like elmer's glue in this way.) You may want to choose something else for the waterfall area since it will constantly be wet. Can't wait to see the updated pictures!

Anejodave

Already taken that into account. The waterfall will be sealed with an appropriate water proof sealant. Thanks for thinking about it though, I'd hate for somebody to try to copy what I'm doing and make a (potentially) fatal mistake.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
How is it that none of these things you're using are toxic to the gecko? Insulating foam spray? Paints? That stuff hs bad fumes. Doesn't it affect the lizard?

Stl_Greaser

How is it that none of these things you're using are toxic to the gecko? Insulating foam spray? Paints? That stuff hs bad fumes. Doesn't it affect the lizard?

Once all of these chemicals are allowed to set and fully dry there will be no fumes anymore. There a plethora of people out there using the very same materials to build structures for their reptiles! It is not a problem at all. You just want to stick to water soluble paints and sealers!

Anejodave

Once the sealant is applied and allowed to cure and sit for 14 days all of the fumes from the other materials have been trapped. Also I've allowed the expanding foam to cure for several months.

It's taking me a long time to build this because I'm being extremely careful to not make a mistake. Hours of research have gone into this. When I'm finished I"ll write a fairly detailed tutorial on how to do this and try to answer all of the questions about safety and toxicity issues

Visit our friends