Fat tail feeding

Sikmike

Quick question regarding acclimation and when it's common for the fat-tail to begin a regular feeding schedule. I've had my 6 month old gecko for 1 week now. I offered food after his first 3 days, which he obviously didn't touch since he was going through a shed. So far he has had 4+ days of minimal handling and seems comfortable.

In those 4 days I have offered 3 large crickets in the cage for an entire day, he seemed uninterested, also uninterested in superworms. I just bought some medium sized crickets and let them roam for the entire day/night aswell. This has all gone without luck, although he has defecated twice and it looks healthy. His temperatures are constant and he often explores/climbs his cage furniture at night. He looks great and I just want to make sure if theres anything I can do extra to make him start eating, so far he has only eaten his skin in the past week.

I'm not too concerned as he's adjusting to his new home and just went through shed, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has had a common situation. Thank you.

Sikmike

If anyone disagrees with this method I'd appreciate some input, worst case scenario if he doesn't eat within the next 3-4 days, I read somewhere on this forum that if you dab small amounts of yogurt on their nose and allow them to lick it off (not giving too much of course), that it will stimulate their digestive track and give them hunger again within 1-2 days. Hopefully that wouldn't be harmful?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would give him as much as 2 weeks. I don't think fat tails are that much different from leopard geckos although more of my few fat tails have been reluctant to eat than my leopard geckos.

ALiza

Visit our friends